Neighbours electricity supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
During building work it has come to light that my neighbours electricity supply runs through my property. I can see many discussions regarding this but each states the supply of the neighbour is attached to the outside of their property. My neighbours supply actually runs through the inside of my property. I have contacted Northern Electric who are responsible for the cabling etc in this area. They have sent details to a company called Freedom Electrical who will come to have a look at the problem. I have been informed it may take them 6-8 weeks just to get in touch. I am unhappy at the length of time as I currently have no kitchen in the house and am unable to put one back in until this problem has been sorted. I also wonder if I am expected to pay for this work ?? Had the cables run on the outside of my property I would not be so concerned but I do not want their supply to run through my kitchen. Any advice very welcome - thank you

Sponsored Links
I am unhappy at the length of time as I currently have no kitchen in the house and am unable to put one back in until this problem has been sorted.
I can't really see that there is much you can do about that other than moan - but whether or not that will achieve anything is another matter.
I also wonder if I am expected to pay for this work ??
That might depend at least in part in what, if any, agreements/ understandings/ whatever may have been entered into by previous owners of your house and then maybe (perhaps without your knowledge) inherited by you when you would you bought it. If you can argue that the work you're going to have done in your kitchen could in some way 'endanger' the electricity supplier's cables, that might make them more inclined to feel that they should move them, at their expense!
Had the cables run on the outside of my property I would not be so concerned but I do not want their supply to run through my kitchen. Any advice very welcome - thank you
I have a similar situation in my house. The supply to a neighbouring property (which was once part of the same house) goes for a few feet through the inside of my house before exiting and then going along the outside wall of my house. However, in my case, the internal bit is just in a utility room, so it really doesn't worry me.

Kind Regards, John

Got back in touch with northern electric and had an engineer at the door within the hour - very impressed. At no charge to me, the old cable supplying next door is to be de commissioned. They are going to contact the neighbours to let them know the situation and make arrangements for them to have their own supply before doing so. I will also know when this has been done as northern electric need access to my property to dis connect the cable. Whether the zero charge is because it actually runs within my house itself I do not know but at least if anybody else has the problem, they will be able to see my outcome on here.
Many thanks for the reply.

Sponsored Links
I have a similar situation in my house. The supply to a neighbouring property (which was once part of the same house) goes for a few feet through the inside of my house before exiting and then going along the outside wall of my house. However, in my case, the internal bit is just in a utility room, so it really doesn't worry me.
I've got a few inches of my neighbour's supply in my house (always was a separate property). It's under the stairs, so it doesn't bother me either - the only downside is that if I wanted the cutout moved it would cost even more than normal.

It ought to bother my neighbour though - it's a TN-S supply, so I could by design or accident or negligence remove his earth.

Actually - a question for Westie, if you read this.

I've never seen my neighbour's end (oo-err, missus), but I'm assuming that this is the arrangement:

screenshot_218.jpg

I'd be surprised if this was unusual, and if it is as shown then were I to remove the conductors running from the sheaths to the earth block then he'd have no earth. (So would I, as I don't know which one is which without opening the cutout).

Have you ever heard of it happening?

I'd be surprised if this was unusual, and if it is as shown then were I to remove the conductors running from the sheaths to the earth block then he'd have no earth. (So would I, as I don't know which one is which without opening the cutout).

Have you ever heard of it happening?

It is very common both with PILC cables and plastic cables (where at least the common earth connections are within the cut-out)

Certainly in this patch I've never heard of it actually happening, though I do know of electricians who have been unsure of the set-up. DIYers tend to leave well alone if they do not understand it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back