Really need some advice please - mains supply issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
This lies outside of DIY, but I really need some advice please.
A family friend of a neighbour was doing electrical work on her house and entered my house with two of the electrical company guys (who didn't know he was her uncle) and they vaguely mentioned that I had a supply running into her house (shared earth - we live in an old terrace). A contractor came today to look at my supply but I have no requests for permission to enter my property and now they want to do some works on my supply and going through to hers. I have no idea what they are intending to do that involves my supply and my neighbour is a very poor communicator who likes to keep things under her hat! He just looked at my supply, nodded and then said, how's next weekend for you?

I have received no written permission for works or access from the Company. It's making me feel really uneasy. Should I have received a request in writing to do any alterations on my Mains electrical supply, or to request formal permission for access to my house -seems odd not to?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It is not "your" supply it is the property of the DNO.

As part of you accepting a supply you agreed to their terms and conditions which is to give them access to inspect, maintain & repair their equipment.
As such they actually have a statutory right of entry to your property.
By all means if you want more information you should ask them (your neighbour may not know the full details anyway) and you can arrange the work to be done at a time convenient to you.

Having said that it sounds as though the neighbour has a looped supply from you that may need renewing by virtue of age or condition or he does not have an effective earth. Obviously if it is in poor condition it could pose a risk to both properties

I have been in the exact same situation a few times. I was working on a house and found the main earth to the property had failed.

I phoned the DNO and reported the fault. They had an engineer out on site with me within 2 hours, who determined the fault was caused by an issue in the next door property.

They just knocked on the door and asked to look at their supply, and confirmed this is where the fault was, and arranged to repair the fault the following day.

As you can see things evolve pretty quickly, so simply knocking on the door and arranging the repair saves everyone a lot of time and hassle.

If you don't agree to this, the DNO would go down the more formal route of arranging to carry out the work.

The cable from the street that supplies your house is probably the cable that supplies the neighbour's house. The cable will go into a cut out that contains the main fuse for your house. It may also house the main fuse for the next door house. These main fuses, the cut out and the cable from the street are the property of the DNO and should not be touched by anyone other than DNO approved technicians. The DNO is not the company you pay your electricity to

http://www.energynetworks.org/info/faqs/electricity-distribution-map.html

The DNO should contact you and give you written notice some days before you allow them to enter your property ( there may be an exception in a seriously dangerous situation )

Sponsored Links
As part of you accepting a supply you agreed to their terms and conditions which is to give them access to inspect, maintain & repair their equipment.
As such they actually have a statutory right of entry to your property.
Yes, the DNO does have a statutory right of entry - but not to just walk in.

I'm not suggesting the OP refuse and force the DNO to use their powers (which AFAIK means a court order unless it's an urgent safety matter), but it's not unreasonable for him to ask the DNO to explain what it is they need to do.

.... but it's not unreasonable for him to ask the DNO to explain what it is they need to do.
Indeed, not unreasonable at all, but it sounds as if he may not have asked, at least not in any detail. I find it a little hard to believe that those involved would refuse to answer the question if asked!

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for the replies and information. useful perpsectives and experiences.
I would have expected the DNO (Scottish and Southern) to send a letter requesting access. It's not extremely dangerous situation and the guys came in about 2 months ago to look at it ,were quite awkward and left saying the work would happen eventually.

My issue was due to lack of written communications and access rights. I've no objection to work being done, but it'd be nice to be very clear about what they are doing.

Another question, should I obtain a written note on what work was carried out?
Also, I was concerned that my neighbour could feed off my supply - is this possible? (just covering myself!)

The cable will go into a cut out that contains the main fuse for your house. It may also house the main fuse for the next door house.

Fairly rare that, normally the incoming cable and the cable to next door are connected together on the bottom side of the fuse supplying the house.

Another question, should I obtain a written note on what work was carried out?

No need that i can think of, it's not part of your electrical installation.

Also, I was concerned that my neighbour could feed off my supply - is this possible? (just covering myself!)

That cannot happen

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back