Electric Meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

A neighbour of a friend of mine is having an extension built on the back and side of the house -

my friend has received a request from the neighbour to gain access to her meter to cut a black cable to allow the meter in the neighbours house to be moved..

Im thinking meter tails but why would access be needed to her house ?

Can you please advise if you have any ideas why this would be requested..

Sponsored Links
She is out in the sticks so I suspect TT earthing system - is a linked system common in TT systems

thats not what I asked.

If the extension is at the side of the house, and the mains 230v supply cable goes to / comes from next door, then its likely it will need moving. On my street one cable from the street feeder feeds about 4 properties looped.

Sponsored Links
It depends on the layout.

Get them on site to review what is needed
Be prepared to wait for some time

They will then schedule to do the work
Be prepared to wait even more time

You'll have to pay them to do the work
Could be a fair wack

Get digging
They'll expect you to do all the ground works to their specification.

It depends on the layout.

Get them on site to review what is needed
Be prepared to wait for some time

They will then schedule to do the work
Be prepared to wait even more time

You'll have to pay them to do the work
Could be a fair wack

Get digging
They'll expect you to do all the ground works to their specification.

I take it you have had some dealings with them :)

To summarise: my friends neighbour is having the extension built , the DNO need access to her meter , I guess it will be the neighbour that picks up the bill ?

I dont think they get on however as its the DNO equipment I guess she has to allow them access to her home to do the biz

Some of my customers have dealings with the DNO in this area. It is the customer's responsibility to deal with the DNO as they have the supply contract with them. The electrician involved can help and advise but nothing more.

Its the DNO's meter and feed to it and its their property. They will do what they want to with it. And charge whatever they like for the privilege.

thanks thommo, and facy seeing you here..
ok its my house, my next door neighbours are having an extension built to the side and back of their house, the neighbour wants to move his meter box as the wall it was attached to inside his house is no more, so his meter box is currently suspended by the wires from the ceiling,. tonight i have come home to find a letter from balfour asking me to contact them with reference to gaining access to my property so they can chop one of the black cables that come out of the black electric box that sits next to my meter box. he also wanted to know my meter number.
i know i have a black cable that runs from my house into his house via our attics. what i need to know is, will this just be a case of chopping the cable and sealing it off as my not very helpful neighbour told me or am i in for loads more hassle and mess so my wonderful neighbour can build his extension.
i sound like a moaning minnie but trust me i have had scaffolding blocking my doors, concrete staining my patio doors and bricks falling off the scaffolding in high winds. i want to move out!!! :cry:

The DNO probably aren't very pleased you have left the heart of your electrical installation hanging by its supply cable, and are coming to disconnect you until such time you can make it safe, and the meter can work properly (old meters dont work on their side - this is stealing). :rolleyes:

OK, an extreme example.

Are these terraced houses? Can we have some photos of the cables you describe?

hi steve, lord this isnt my electric box!! this is my next door neighbours electric box that is hanging from his ceiling and his extension.

my electric box is securely attached to my wall in its proper place.

we live in semi dettached houses that were built in 1930's

Oh ok then! :LOL: I misread.

Yes, his electric probably runs from your mainfuse (or vise-versa). If you can take a picture of the equipment you are talking about, we can see whats going on. Its probably been done so that one house gets the supply from the road, and next door piggybacks on this supply. Nothing unusual, though not common for DNOs to run cables through lofts.

i have added a picture in my album of the black box with the cables coming out. if thats the case then as per your last posting steve will it just be a case of them chopping one of these nice wires and capping it off? then i can get back to looking at the scaffolding he has erected in my garden and dodge the flying bricks? :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back