external wall insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been advised to go for external wall (cladding?) insulation as best for my 1936 house- due to narrow cavity and cavity wall insulation increasingly getting a bad press for various reasons-
I would greatly appreciate any advice please re such a project and costs if poss.
Ta
micky

Sponsored Links
I have been advised to go for external wall (cladding?) insulation as best for my 1936 house- due to narrow cavity and cavity wall insulation increasingly getting a bad press for various reasons-
I would greatly appreciate any advice please re such a project and costs if poss.
Ta
micky
£15k

Narrow cavities can be filled, it is possible now with certain insulation

Are you getting ECO funding for the insulation?

Narrow cavities can be filled, it is possible now with certain insulation

Are you getting ECO funding for the insulation?

Hello and many thanks-
I was advised that the economics-the benefits, of filling a narrow cavity do not justify the expense?? such a small return?
And I have not explored any funding as yet-
I would be grateful for any ideas- - very much so re per mtr costs if you have any idea/
ta
mickey

Sponsored Links
I had a quote of 24k for 4 bed detached. I was also offered 4K ECO funding. You'll need to get a green deal assessment/survey (about £150) in order to get into the ECO funding system.

Personally, am undecided what to do....

While EWI is attractive (warmer, smarter looking house, etc), there is no way that the £20k it would cost me would be saved in energy bills over the life of the product (25 years).

And what happens after 25 years.. it all needs to be re-done?...

I had a quote of 24k for 4 bed detached. I was also offered 4K ECO funding. You'll need to get a green deal assessment/survey (about £150) in order to get into the ECO funding system.

Personally, am undecided what to do....

While EWI is attractive (warmer, smarter looking house, etc), there is no way that the £20k it would cost me would be saved in energy bills over the life of the product (25 years).

And what happens after 25 years.. it all needs to be re-done?...

Many thanks - I do appreciate it- I have not got to 'quote' stages yet - still 'investigating' but it does sound too expensive?

it does sound too expensive?

These things always are - and what's the use if it takes 300 years to pay for itself, and is knackered well-before that anyway?

Upgrade your loft insulation - most cost-effective way of saving.

In my case it's still on the table as an option... as a lot of our exterior render needs redoing any way.

Since the render on our place is painted and that would need redoing every 5-10 years, which needs scaffolding...

when you tot it up and include the energy savings, over 25 years it's not far off the cost of EWI.

I guess my main concern is that this is still relatively new in the UK. I would hate to come to the time where I want to sell and EWI be one of those things that raises a red flag on a survey (e.g. like the spray on loft insulation).

It's difficult to know what the right decision is, since it's early days for EWI.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back