External wall lanterns - 6 wired in series off a photocell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have bought an external IP65 rated photocell and want to connect 6 external wall lanterns to it in series. The Photocell supports up to 5 Amps.

Each lantern handles up to 60W and I plan to put 20W energy saving bulbs in each one. The lanterns are simple on/off types and do not have PIRs or photocells in them.

My plan is to send the mains feed into the photocell and then back out to the first light. From the first light, I'll connect to the second light, then the third and so on.

Are there any obvious flaws or watchouts that anyone can think of? I already have the mains feed ready, connected via a light switch in the hall.

Thanks...Brett

Sponsored Links
see if the instructions mention CFLs. I have noticed that electronic timeswitches and photocells sometimes say they are not suitable for CFLs.

However I have been using several of them for at least 10 years with only one failure, so it may be overcautious.

I am sure that one with an old-fashioned relay would be perfectly safe.

I have bought an external IP65 rated photocell and want to connect 6 external wall lanterns to it in series. The Photocell supports up to 5 Amps.

You might want to wire in parallel.

Each lantern handles up to 60W and I plan to put 20W energy saving bulbs in each one. The lanterns are simple on/off types and do not have PIRs or photocells in them.

As mentioned CFL may not be allowed.

My plan is to send the mains feed into the photocell and then back out to the first light. From the first light, I'll connect to the second light, then the third and so on.

You might want to wire them in parallel - think of christmas tree lights

Are there any obvious flaws or watchouts that anyone can think of? I already have the mains feed ready, connected via a light switch in the hall.

How are you going to get a neutral - unless the hall has a loop through switch system you will not have a neutral there.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back