External Weather Proof Socket

There’s already something spurred off that socket. You’ll not have the space in the back box, or in the socket terminals for a 4th cable.
On the plus side, all the circuits are RCD protected, so you’ll not need an RCD socket.

Sponsored Links
There’s already something spurred off that socket. You’ll not have the space in the back box, or in the socket terminals for a 4th cable.
On the plus side, all the circuits are RCD protected, so you’ll not need an RCD socket.

I have another socket on the other side I can utilise and nothing spured off it.. so that would be okay?

I thought it was just an MCB?

Sorry for being thick! So this is on on RCD.. but if all on RCBOs the RCD not needed..

Last edited:
Your consumer has two halves. Each half has its own RCD, and the individual circuits have their own MCB.
You have no RCBOs.

This may help you with using the proper terminology
I have another socket on the other side I can utilise and nothing spured off it.. so that would be okay?
That sounds like a better plan.

Sponsored Links
Your consumer has two halves. Each half has its own RCD, and the individual circuits have their own MCB.
You have no RCBOs.

This may help you with using the proper terminology

That sounds like a better plan.

Thanks pal.. only issue is this one is a bit higher.. so would you recommend running a small amount of flex outside to get the socket in the correct position ? Or conduit to the Socket ?

Just have the socket higher!

If you plan on using “flex” it must be suitable for outdoor use. And you’ll need 2.5mm three core.
Or put it in conduit, but that’s going to be more hassle, getting the right angles, connecting items, making it water tight etc…

Just have the socket higher!

If you plan on using “flex” it must be suitable for outdoor use. And you’ll need 2.5mm three core.
Or put it in conduit, but that’s going to be more hassle, getting the right angles, connecting items, making it water tight etc…

Would you use 2.5 mm
armoured?

Not unless it’s in a situation that is liable to mechanical damage.
Terminating SWA is a skill. Have you ever done it? It would be even more hassle than conduit.

Not unless it’s in a situation that is liable to mechanical damage.
Terminating SWA is a skill. Have you ever done it? It would be even more hassle than conduit.

I've used it a few times but yeah, pain in the arse.

So just use 2.5mm flex come through the outside wall and run to the socket?

Should it come through to a junction box then go from there to the socket ?

Why?

Drill any holes so that they slope downwards on the inside -> outside journey.

Good tip with the holes..

You will need 2.5mm as its power ?

I'm just going to use twin and earth flex it won't be exposed at all only going through the wall.

You will need 2.5mm as its power ?
I don't know what that refers to but you will use 2.5mm².

I'm just going to use twin and earth flex it won't be exposed at all only going through the wall.
Twin and earth is not flex.
T&e has a bare earth wire.
Flex is flexible cable and has three cores the same

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back