External Wood Storage Solution - Ideas Needed Please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Due to a lack of workshop space I have to find a way to store my 200+ stock of 2x2s, wooden trim, copper pipes, curtain rails, carpet trim etc. *outside* of the house.

I'm talking about long thin stuff here - not boards. A lot of it is in 8ft lenghts but there are offcuts that are maybe only a foot or two long.

Does anyone have any ideas/designs that I could use to store this lot?

As well as being weatherproof, it will need to be accessible. To give you an idea, if you piled up all the various bits on say a 1ft wide shelf, it would probably be about 1ft deep. So I will need a way to see what is there, probably from above and from the ends.

Any help gratefully received!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Access tower? about £150 for gutter level, you have the use of the tower and can assemble single hight section[8'X4'] and use it to store the long lengths with a sheet of ply at lower level for odd sizes.
Or just buy a half tower [about 8'X8'X4'] if you don't have use for full hight unit, throw a tarpalin over it to keep everything dry.
I've used half tower to work under outside jobs when raining, keep all tools and power tools dry and can be dismantled and transported on roof rack or in van if you have one.

Something like this
http://www.ladders-999.co.uk/diy-hot-shots/domestic-steel-towers.html

A couple of sheets of exterior grade plywood ripped to a suitable width, and make in effect a long dog kennel, suitably covered in roofing felt to keep the rain out, and raised off the ground on short legs, this would provide storage for long thin pieces of materials.
You could fit a locking door at one end.

Wotan

Sponsored Links
These are three BRILLIANT ideas - I hadn't thought of any of them so many thanks!

I will look into each of them.

Any more bright ideas would also be really appreciated - can't have too many, and it might will help other people with similar problems.

Thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back