Need a wood storage solution

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have gathered quite a bit of various woods over the period of my DIY'ing'
and am in need of a storage solution as the amount I have is just taking up valuable space in the house.

Lots of different types but mainly...
Oak skirtings - full lengths and sizable offcuts
Antique pine skirtings - full lengths and sizable offcuts
Structural timber

I have emptied a badly neglected garage suffering from damp.
It's thermolite and rendered on the outside, painted on the inside.

A truly horrible job emptying this filth (left from previous owners). Rotten carpets piled one on top of the other amongst other things.

Anyways...

It's dry and now empty and cleaned but still smells of damp. No leeks from what I can see.

Can I store my wood in there or is it going to warp and rot etc... etc...

I am pretty sure this would be foolish but just wanted a 2nd opinion.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Will be fine if stored off of the ground, leave gaps around each timber, stack using battens or short offcuts so that air can circulate around and through it all. If there are no vents or other natural ventilation in the garage then consider adding some.

I agree should be ok if stored off the ground - maybe fabricate (or buy) something like this
wstor-full.jpg

I would also suggest that ideally you should still use spacers between planks to allow air to circulate (same material if possiblel)

I store short lengths of timber in open bins made of scrap material. These don't have to be completely enclosed; for example, you can use boards for the front and back, and join them with battens provided that the height of the top batten is suitable for the length of scrap you're likely to want to keep. If they're in a building where the floor is damp, a spread a piece of dpm underneath.

In general, the time and money spent on storing scraps has to be proportionate to the value and usefulness of what you're storing. And I find it's worthwhile doing some pruning every so often, when the bins get too full.

Sponsored Links
whilst "airing " the wood is crutial when its wet and in a big stack
in this instance simply keeping it off the floor incase of puddles should be enough providing it wont get wet [other than the odd random drip from condensation]

just keep in mind when you want to make somthing from the timber after it has been stored in a cold damp store over winter you will need to store it in a dry warm room in the house for a couple off weeks if size is important as timber can shrink by around 5% accross the grain it will not shrink to any noticable amount along the wood though

nice storage racks tony warrington :D :D

The helpfulness of people here never ceases to impress me.

Thanks a lot. Much appreciated guys.

I was about to add that your garage looks like a palace Mr Warrington (I know it's not yours now).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back