Extra battery earth cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2009 Hyundai i20 1.4

The solenoid was click click click last week and was started with a tow.

I got the car to look at today and the battery earth lead to inner wing bolt was rusted up when I took it out.

Buffed and sprayed with electrical cleaner the bolt, back in and the engine was starting.

Put the voltmeter across the battery when cranking and it was dipping to 7v - a dodgy cell I think so will get a new battery. Its the original battery so its done well.

14v+ with the engine running so the alternator is good.

Since there's only the one earth lead off the battery on to the inner wing, would it upset the electrics if I get another earth lead and fasten it between a gearbox bolt ad the battery's earth clamp?

Sponsored Links
the only thing i would consider is the movement from the gearbox which could snap the strap.

Do you think the car has bad earth? Maybe you could upgrade the existing one with a thicker and newer cable?

I've cleaned the earth cable of the battery.

There will be an earth cable from the engine on to the car body which I've not looked at it.

In my experience, there's usually a engine block to battery earth cable.

The fact that the battery voltage dipped to 7v when I cranked the engine, indicates its on the way out - not bad though, 8 years service.

Last edited:
What you propose is a good idea, you can use flexible multi strand cable for this. Leave some slack in it and you should be ok.

Sponsored Links
There was probably little wrong with the earth lead , the battery is the cause of the problem.

I took the battery to the local Andrew Page branch for testing.

The tester displayed "not serviceable" and quoted a 34% output.

Got a Yuasa brand battery there and then and the engine is cranking noticeably quicker.

May still put an engine block to battery earth cable on.

FWIW I always spray earth connections under the bonnet with white grease/ Waxoyl whenever I get a new car. Might not do a lot of good but makes me feel better.

Does anyone know why some batteries are flat top design and others have recessed pole bays?

I checked the listing for the i20 on the Yuasa website and the two battery options are flat top type as is the old battery.

Andrew Page sold me a Yuasa battery recessed poles. The battery fits and is working well, I'm merely curios about why the two types.

As far as I'm aware, it's to do with the venting system of the battery......any damp fumes condense in there and return to the cells.
In this way, the battery never needs topping up with pure water .
John :)

By the way, if anyone prefers Yuasa car batteries, if you go to the website,

https://www.yuasa.co.uk/

type in your reg and get the part no., you can get the battery cheaper on ebay than that quoted by Yuasa.

I had a Yusas battery on my 45TD and it lasted 8 years.

Thanks all, for posting replies.

I'd buy a battery for my 1973 Rover 3500s on EBay but I'm scared that Yodel or UKMail would throw it over my bin cupboard door and sign it off as safely delivered.

Surely with couriers you can change delivery address, even delivered at work?

I don't work ! If I'm out, it will normally be with the dog. I'd still be concerned how the battery would be handled in the courier's depot

Arrange for it to be delivered to your local Post Office or Argos etc.

Yes, I suppose if it's cracked in transit , it's better for it to leak in Argos than in my hall.

Sponsored Links
Back