Renault Kangoo 52 1.4 Dead as a door post on startup

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Baught this van about 7 weeks ago from auction for work, drove home fine and started with no issu8es. I left the van for 4 weeks and on start up was getting clicking sound only, on jump start managed to get the engine to turn once but was very laboured.
Charged battery over night with leads disconnected. On turn of key there was nothing at all, checked connections etc and all were tight and on correct.
Decided to replace the battery which i have done and all is the same.
Cleaned all the connections including the earth to the chassis aswell with no luck. Checked what i can, like making sure there isnt any loose connections anywhere but cant even see the connection on to the starter motor as its buried down the back, can just make out the solenoid on the top. Thought it might be the immobiliser and have gone through that procedure to reset however that seems to be ok. The lights are showing battery and stop after trying to start which i think indicates electrical fault. These stay on steady btw.
Has any one any ideas before i call out the mechanic?
Cheers in advance
Chris

Sponsored Links
I think the starter motor solenoid has decided to call it a day......however if you can isolate the low current feed to the starter (thinner wire) it should show 12v when you try the ignition switch to the start position.
John :)

I think the starter motor solenoid has decided to call it a day......however if you can isolate the low current feed to the starter (thinner wire) it should show 12v when you try the ignition switch to the start position.
Thanks for that John, that gives me the conviction to get some professional help unless access to the starter is easier than it looks. ..

Access is truly awful, Chris......I've only replaced a diesel starter, and the only way out was from underneath - and that was bad enough!

Sponsored Links
Access is truly awful, Chris......I've only replaced a diesel starter, and the only way out was from underneath - and that was bad enough!
Ha ha, definitely not a job for me then john...Thanks for the input.. :)

Back