Extra light in the loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but when it comes to electrics, I'm very very nervous...

In my loft I have a single regular bayonet fit bulb which is switched from one half of a two switch socket in the hallway below... problem is that the light has been mounted at one end, and it's quite a long loft, so the far end is pretty dark. Now, I''d like to be able to either:

a) swap for a long flor tube light and mount that in the middle, or, ideally...

b) run a cable for another standard bulb to the other end.

Whats the easiest way of doing this? And am I allowed to do it?

Thanks,
Steve

Sponsored Links
You would get a lot more light from the fluorescent tube. The way to go. If its a long loft, you could even fit 2 fluorescent tubes. Yes you are allowed to do this work AFAIK.

If you're that nervous, or are in any way unsure about what you're doing, come back here and ask us, or call an electrician.

Decide where you want the tubes and then see if the centre of one lines up with the batten lamp holder. If so, then wire the cable from the BLH to the tube and take another cable from this fitting to the next tube.
If it doesn't line up then replace the BLH with a Junction box and run two cables from there to the tubes.

Two points to note:
Watch you footing in the loft
Make sure your lighting circuit has an earth as most flourescents need and earth*

*No Earth? you can fit another BLH and fit Class II tubes that go into bayonet fittings.
Happy New Year

Thanks for the help guys. Looking at the bulb holder in the loft it appears to be just two core cable (no earth), so I guess my best option is to add a further regular bulb at the other end. Whats the best way of cabling that in?

Failing that (i.e. if it's not easy), I'll keep an eye out for those tubes you mentioned.

Thanks again.
steve

Sponsored Links
Just connect red/brown and black/blue to terminals of holder and terminate other end in the same way.
Sleeve earth cable and terminate in a terminal block at each end (then if someone upgrades to an earthed circuit they can use the cable you've fitted.
You can get the Class II Flourescent at any DIY outlet they look the same as a normal flourscent except that there is a bayonet fitting in the centre.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back