Extra long sealant guns sound great but anyone ever used one?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was looking to see if there was such a thing and came across a website:

https://longreachsealantguns.co.uk/

But not currently available.

In the absence of being able to find a roofer willing to replace a single tile this would be incredibly useful!

UPDATE: I heard back from the company - these will be available in the UK in the near future. They have a fb page.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
What I'd like to know is where you'd get a 2m long tube of caulk... It states that it, "Can be filled with mortar for pointing joints with bricks or patios" and "Accepts both ‘sausage’ foil pack sealants and standard cartridges", but when you get a leak, just how in hell are you supposed to clean it out? Even with a standard size sausage gun that is difficult enough! In any case there's no address, phone number or company name on that site which sort of screams "avoid" to me.

Can't see there being much call for it TBH - in more than half the instances you'd easily gain access using a podium (not a ladder) or a scaffolding tower either or both of which have been kicking around on every job I've been on in the last 10 years

What I'd like to know is where you'd get a 2m long tube of caulk... It states that it, "Can be filled with mortar for pointing joints with bricks or patios" and "Accepts both ‘sausage’ foil pack sealants and standard cartridges", but when you get a leak, just how in hell are you supposed to clean it out? Even with a standard size sausage gun that is difficult enough! In any case there's no address, phone number or company name on that site which sort of screams "avoid" to me.

Can't see there being much call for it TBH - in more than half the instances you'd easily gain access using a podium (not a ladder) or a scaffolding tower either or both of which have been kicking around on every job I've been on in the last 10 years

Take your point if you're on a commercial build with a scaffold around, but as a DIY'er ... I have an old torched roof and some of the tiles e.g. the side and top rows are cemented - if they crack a roofer has previously told me that replacing them can end up causing more damage to other tiles so has repaired small gaps with that he called 'liquid lead' I think some form of roofing sealant. Anyway there's a cracked tile at the top of my roof and I'm fairly sure the roofer would just seal it with more of the sealant, however this means climbing across more old tiles and likely causing further damage. However with a long-reach sealant gun I could reach the crack from my adjacent flat roof no problem at all and it would save me a fortune if I could do bits like that myself.

A suitably angled ladder from the flat roof to the ridge, would avoid contact with any other tiles, and you could get good access (With someone properly footing the ladder!)

Sponsored Links
A simpler way to do it could be, use a long length of timber, attach a small cup/can lid or similar and use acrylpol or similar and pour on crack(y)
i may take this idea to the Dragons.

I'm still wondering where they get the 2m long tubes or sausages from...

I'm still wondering where they get the 2m long tubes or sausages from...
I'm assuming they take the standard ones i.e. the plunger is long so the standard sized tube fits in the end, although I could be wrong. That fits with pictures of ones I've seen.

Do you think you would be able to accurately place a bead of caulk 2m away from your hand, though?

general comments
a 1mm wiggly line on a 300mm tube will be 6mm at 2m
a lump at 300mm is easy to pull down and around but will tend to drag more on larger length where the natural "feel " is less apparent and take a different skills to apply the same
95% off work needs finishing with a wet finger or tool so needs to be in arms reach so a fantastic idea for the non skilled or bodge it and scarper who have no intension to finish to a reasonable to good standard
now it may have a place to apply at greater than arms length above and at say skirting height but you still need to bend down or up on staging to finish or save your knees but suspect the extra kit would counteract the benefit off extra reach
now i assume these guns just use normal tubes but have extra barrel length for any length tube or wet fill content so we need to keep in mind these guns can not only have extra reach but up to perhaps 6 times the weight at arms length so possibly heavy by mastic guns standards and quite unwieldy ???

Last edited:
...95% off work needs finishing with a wet finger or tool so needs to be in arms reach so a fantastic idea for the non skilled or bodge it and scarper who have no intension to finish to a reasonable to good standard...
All you'll need B-A is some Kenny Everett hands:

Kenny Everett Big Hands.jpg

Should help prevent the dermatitis you get from not wearing gloves, too! Two birds, one stone?

Do you think you would be able to accurately place a bead of caulk 2m away from your hand, though?

No, but fairly sure I could cover a gap in a roof tile. Would it be helpful to silicone my bath, nope. I could be wrong but in this specific situation where I'm not trying to avoid paying a roofer, but avoiding someone climbing on an old roof I'm trying to squeeze a couple more years out of... I think I'd give it a go.

Can't say as I'll be buying one anytime soon - for starters I don't thing they'll fit inside my van (bad enough trying to get a 1.8 metre level inside)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back