Extra supply and meter for garage ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys

This one'll make you laugh...

I previosuly posted about running 16mm SWA from my main supply / meter 50m down the garden to a garage (separate Consumer Unit, etc).

the only problem with this is the crazy price for the SWA and associated gubbins.

In a moment of madness, I thought ' what about establishing a second, separate supply and meter for the garage - which is only 4 meters from an adjacent terraced row of houses?...' - i.e. separate supply from main domestic supply.

In my naive experience, not only would this save me laying over 60 -65 metres of SWA cable (twists and turns, etc), but installation costs could be comparable?? (about £500?)

Any ideas of ball-park costs anyone? or is this just a silly idea that should be quickly forgotten ?

djmidg

Sponsored Links
A quote from the DNO is free. Explore ;) Every case is different.

Thanks Lectrician. I guess everyone's at the pub - it is a Friday night !

Is there some rule that each premises should only have one supply and consequently one meter?

Has anyone paid out for a electric utility company to install a new supply and meter?

I did an installation a month ago, where the customer had a new second meter'd supply put in to an outbuilding.
He went this route for the same reasons you have outlined.
Cost I was told was in the region of £1100; for new pole & overhead supply from far side of road with cable run down pole underground for 4 meters & into building with new ampey meter.
And there is no problem having a second meter'd supply registered at one address.........not with SSE anyway.

Sponsored Links
16mmsq 2 core SWA is less than £3/metre. Over a 50m run I fail to see how a quote from the DNO for a new supply will be cheaper, even on a good day.

Matthew

Sorry guys, I don't know what the DNO is - I'm a newbie to this field.

...but yes, £1100 is more than I thought.

Please let me know where I can get 3core 16mm SWA for anywhere near £2 per metre - I thought tlc-direct.co.uk wa the cheapest at (approx) £3.50 per metre.

Ah...just googled ..Distrib Net Ops. - get it now. Yes worth a try, as power supply is under pavement, inline with garage entrance, and would only require 4 metres of ginnel cobbling to be dug up. Maybe cheaper than the £1100 set-up.

Anyone else any experience in this?

Deeman said:
Please let me know where I can get 3core 16mm SWA for anywhere near £2 per metre - I thought tlc-direct.co.uk wa the cheapest at (approx) £3.50 per metre.

TLC offer some good prices. I quoted less than £3/metre (not £2), I assume your figure of £3.50 is for three core. The run can be done in two core and will be significantly cheaper.

In any case, I still maintain that the chances of you getting a new supply for less than the cost of ~65m SWA and the necessary accessories to complete the job are near zero. Not to mention that if your tariff has a standing charge, you'll also have to pay this twice.

Thanks

Yes you're probably right, but I'll ask the DNO out of pure curiosity anyway !

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back