Extractor fan and timer overrun

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had a new bathroom recently and the electrician fitted a new inline fan. I bought a couple of Quinetic wireless switches from TLC, so that we could have the lights etc controlled from inside the bathroom.
The electrician wired everything up so the downlight come on with the fan. But since then I would much prefer to have the fan on a separate switch and have overrun. Talking to the electrician, he says this is going to be difficult because the fan needs a switched live (I guess that is coming off the downlights). I could have it on a separate switch but with no overrun.
I thought I could solve this with three switches and three receivers, but if the electrician says it will be difficult if not impossible I need to return the extra switches.
What would be a good solution? Maybe replace the inline fan with one without a timer and have a humistat control it?? For me that would be the best as it would eliminate the switch entirely. Or is there a neat solution to give the current fan a switched live?
The problem is that the electrician cannot come back for several weeks, I could find another but don't want to waste anyone's time on an impossible situation.
Thanks for any input.

Sponsored Links
We had a new bathroom recently and the electrician fitted a new inline fan. I bought a couple of Quinetic wireless switches from TLC, so that we could have the lights etc controlled from inside the bathroom.
You could have had ordinary switches inside the bathroom.

The electrician wired everything up so the downlight come on with the fan.
It is more usual to have the fan come on with the light.

But since then I would much prefer to have the fan on a separate switch and have overrun. Talking to the electrician, he says this is going to be difficult because the fan needs a switched live
The fan must already have a switched live otherwise it would run permanently.
Did he say it would need an additional permanent live and this would be difficult because you have already decorated?

(I guess that is coming off the downlights).
Exactly.

I could have it on a separate switch but with no overrun.
Anything is possible (and simple) electrically.
If it works with the timer then you must already have all the necessary wiring.

I thought I could solve this with three switches and three receivers, but if the electrician says it will be difficult if not impossible I need to return the extra switches.
I don't know what you mean.

What would be a good solution?
To decide what you want before installation.

Maybe replace the inline fan with one without a timer
You are confusing unrelated matters. That the fan has a timer is irrelevant; you don't have to use it.

and have a humistat control it?? For me that would be the best as it would eliminate the switch entirely.
If you want.

Or is there a neat solution to give the current fan a switched live?
How can we know? Is it a loft above with access to all the wiring - except the switches.

The problem is that the electrician cannot come back for several weeks, I could find another but don't want to waste anyone's time on an impossible situation.
Perhaps he is fed up with you changing your mind. Nothing is impossible.

I don't think he is fed up, his main man has had a recent hip op and he is filling in on extra work.
I did try to persuade him to fit switches in the bathroom, I know about zones and the switches were way outside, but he refused because I guess he didn't want the responsibility for any mishaps.
The loft gives full access, the wiring and receivers are all up there.
If the fan timer can be disabled, then I'd prefer it controlled by humidistat.
These wireless switches can be fixed anywhere, no boxes just fit flush to wall/tiles etc.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back