Extractor fan. Carbon filters missing.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a new kitchen put in a couple of years ago but have only now discovered that the extractor fan, Howdens Lamona LAM2502, was installed without any carbon filters.

So is the fan/ducting likely to need complete replacement? I can't see the point sticking the filters on now that its had two years of gunk going through it.

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
The carbon filters are used as an attempt to take the steam and smell from the air and allow it to be returned to the room, in situations where it can't be expelled outside.

If the extractor has a duct to vent it to the outside, the carbon filters are not fitted.

In either case, grease should be captured by the mesh or paper main inlet grille. These should be cleaned / replaced respectively.

Carbon Filters are often not supplied with the appliance and need ordering. If the extraction is via ducts to an external vent, the carbon filters are not normally required.

Carbon filter only filter the smell not grease, so not required with ducting, you should be putting the grease filters thru the dishwasher once a month or a soak in hot soapy water.

Sponsored Links
Ah that's great. I didn't realise they weren't necessary if its externally vented - which it is. I assumed they were to prevent grease and particles getting into the internals of the fan/duct.

Thanks for the advice/help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back