Extractor Fan Control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are building a new en-suit shower room with W/C & the room has no external window. I’ve looked in the regs. (Part F) & can’t find anything that would seem to prevent the extractor fan being manually controlled via an external switch the same as our bathroom which has an external window. Can anyone conform my interpretation is correct or does the fan in a room without a window have to be automatically activated i.e. via the light pull cord? If so does it also have to be on a timer?

Sponsored Links
not sure whether this helps or not, but my extractor fan in my bathroom (no windows either) comes on automatically with the light and it has a switch on the fan so you can set how long it stays on after the light has been switched off.

when this was installed by a sparky, they set it so that when the light goes off the extractor goes off straight away - i have left it like this so that when its the middle of the night and someone goes to the bathroom the extractor doesnt stay on for 20mins and keep me awake (like the last one did - might be why it stopped working)

just a thought.

Have it come on with the light - timed over-run.
Place a triple pole isolator switch outside the en-suite, at a reachable height.... If no real requirement for fan, after for example, a quick hair brushing visit - turn off then on again at the isolator - fan stops.
:cool:

Sponsored Links
Have it come on with the light - timed over-run.
Place a triple pole isolator switch outside the en-suite, at a reachable height.... If no real requirement for fan, after for example, a quick hair brushing visit - turn off then on again at the isolator - fan stops.
:cool:
That was my original thinking & is ideal but I rather stupidly didn’t buy a timer module with the fan. I suppose while I’m at it, I may as well do it properly so I’ll splash out on the timer module. Thanks both for the replies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back