Extractor fan cover question.............?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an extractor fan in my bathroom connected to some tubing ending with one of the 'covers' as pictured below in the soffit of my roof.

In the winter especially, when the wind blows, a cold breeze blows in to the shower room.

Is there a product I can fit outside instead of the item below that will stop the wind and air blowing IN but still allow it to blow OUT.

Any ideas where I can get this or what it is even called....?

Thanks alot.

greenwood-airvac-external-grille-spigot-00017123S.jpg

Sponsored Links
Use a wall outlet gravity flap - Toolstation 26127 or similar.....however
if that doesn't suit due to its horizontal mounting - if thats what you have - you can get an extractor fan with back draught shutters built in.
John :)

You would benefit from an NRD - Non Return Damper/Backdraft damper, fitted inline between the extract and the Louvre. The gravity flap louvre will only work properly of its vertical.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all. It is mounted horizontally (facing the ground) on the soffit.

The extractor was very expensive so I only want to replace this small part if possible........

If it's an expensive model would expect it to have a Non Return Damper/Backdraft damper, fitted inline? Mine was only £20 but is fitted with one.

Well perhaps but I am looking for a solution now rather than discussing what should have been supplied initially.

Seriously, I don't think you'll find any shutter that will work in a horizontal plane so an extractor with a built in back draught shutter will be needed (costs around £40 maybe) and most of these are wall mounted rather than in the ceiling.
John :)
Edit....just seen aunsh's post so maybe that would do - I didn't know such a thing existed!

Hi. Thanks alot for that link. That product looks interesting. I have also found this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COWLED-WA...arden_Hearing_Cooling_Air&hash=item27a5ade5f2

Positioned in the correct direction I would stop the vast majority of wind blowing up into the ducting and into the bathroom as the air exit point is smaller and I can face it away from the prevailing wind.

I will consider these both carefully, thanks alot!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back