Extractor fan ducting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm running the ducting for a shower cubical fan through to loft space and have read it should be insulated. Anyone have any practical experiences or views of insulating or not. It seems overkill as there will still be a cold drop into the shower cubical through the ducting wether it is insulated or not.

Sponsored Links
How long is the run. Insulating will reduce the amount of condensate caught in the pipe. If you have standing water there are various health risks. If you have a condensation trap fitted then it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

If you don't fit a trap, you really need to make sure that the fan is the highest point and there is a fall to the shower and the outside so that any condensate will work its way out.

Thanks nstreet. The run is 3mtrs, the fan is at the highest point and only about 0.5 mtrs from the shower cubicle grill, so about 2.5 mtrs sloping down to the external grill. I haven't fitted a condensation trap. I think I'll see how it goes and then if need be, insulate the pipe (although, with what I'm not sure at the moment as I haven't seen any purpose built products for 100mm pipe) and / or fit a condensation trap if the problem is severe.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again nstreet, looks the easiest I've seen yet for a 100mm wrap.
Just FYI, all the ducting used is semi rigid alloy but it will sag under the weight of any build up of condensation, therefore, the 2.5 mtrs run to the outside vent is sitting perfectly supported in a length of 112mm guttering fixed to the gable end. Nice Job :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back