Extractor Fan - How to fix ducting to a wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello :D All

It's my 1st post on this forum but in the past I have read many useful tips here so I hope someone can offer some advice.

I have a new downstairs loo which is vented into the garage. Obviously, need to vent it to the outside so we're looking to fix some flexible ducting from the cloakroom end of the garage to the outside wall. My question is, how should we fix the ducting to the wall? It will (eventually :LOL: ) be boxed in but any bright ideas on how to fix along the wall would be great.

Thanks for any help!!

Bev

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Use screw eyes and tie wraps, you can also get screw in bases for tie wraps. View media item 38397

That would look a mess. The simple solution would be a solid duct.

Its going to be boxed in!! Your "simple solution" is an unnecessary and pointless expense.

Really?

Depending on the length of the run there may be problem with condensation build up in the duct. Byusing solid duct you can angle it with a slight fall towards the outside. This would allow condensation water build up to run outside. This would not be achievable with flexi duct. The extra cost wont break the bank.

if it's breaking through a garage wall (fire compartment?) would an intumescent collar be necessary or advisable?

Condensation will happen inside the pipe where it passes through the cold garage and be trapped in the folds of the flexible duct. It can then create a smelly mess in the duct. When the fan is not running the colder heavier air at the end of the duct will push the smell backwards into the warmer lighter air in the toilet room.

Corrogated flexible duct also creates turbulant air flow wihich increases resistance to air flow in the duct reducing the amount of air that is extracted from the toilet room

Use 100 mm drainage pipe and bends with, as mentioned, a slope down the exit into free air.

Use brackets like this to secure the pipe. http://www.drainageonline.co.uk/110mm-Push-fit-Soil/110mm-Double-Fix-Soil-Pipe-Clip.htm

Plan B?

Wooden_Clothes_Peg.jpg

We havent heard from Bev for a while? So we do not know if any of our suggestions have been taken on board.

One thing to note is that many of the cheaper loo fans are not very powerful and will have trouble pushing air more than about 3metres up a duct.
How long is the duct ?

(Bernard, my 110mm pipe clips are half the price of yours ;) )

(Bernard, my 110mm pipe clips are half the price of yours ;) )
I took the first that Google offered. I could probably find them a lot cheaper somewhere. I note Ban did not offer a link for the source of nasal sensory inhibitors. One per family member and extraction would not be needed.

You could get the plastic ones, and match the colour to your tie (or undies).

Plastic pegs are as bad as downlighters.

Sorry to be dragged ( or me dragging ) off topic.

Valid point about extending the duct on a weak fan. Maybe the opportunity to fit a more powerful fan at the end of the duct. More powerful extract and much less fan noise inside the house. Less noise is a big advantange at the night when people are asleep when someone uses the toilet.

Also ensure that replacement warm air can get into the room under the door or over opening from the house as that will compensate a bit for the longer duct. If the existing duct is corrogated it might be worth replacing that with smooth walled pipe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back