Extractor fan in bathroom causing mould in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've looked at the Condensation sticky but can't find the answer to this specific problem, I hope someone can help!

We bought a house last year and the bathroom has no window, so there is an extractor fan which vents into the loft space.

We had the fan replaced shortly after we moved in last May, and we had the loft insulated about 5 months ago. Today the insulators came back to top up the insulation (it hadn't been laid thick enough the first time) and the installer showed me that the extractor fan was causing moisture in the loft - the beams had mould on them.

Now he's pointed it out, it seems obvious the fan shouldn't vent into the loft, but the question is what we do about it! He said we need to get something to vent from the fan out of the roof, we should also get vents put into the roof. He said we need a builder for this.

Is he correct? And any ideas what this will cost? I am going to call the electrician who put in the fan, but was hoping anyone on here might have advice too. Thanks :)

Sponsored Links
With regard to cost, it shouldn't cost you anything to alter it. The idiot electrician who put it in should not have vented it to the roof. It should go up through the roof with a proper flashing or, preferably, through an outside wall.

So it's the electrician's fault, he should have told us that it needs to vent to the roof?

To clarify, he was replacing a fan that was here when we moved in - I think it was installed by the previous owner (a builder) who I think did a lot of DIY, and some not that well! But our electrician should have realised it was a problem and told us, is that right?

Oh, and our electrician is a member of NAPIT (I checked), I thought their standards were very rigorous?

Sponsored Links
But our electrician should have realised it was a problem and told us, is that right?

Not sure about that; it depends on what was agreed between yourselves. If the contract between you was just to replace the fan, then he's done what was agreed.
He had a moral duty to advise that the installation was unsatisfactory, but a legal duty??

We got him round to look at the whole house and advise us what needed doing. He said the fan in the bathroom wasn't doing its job, so it needed replacing. So yes, surely he should have told us?

I know of a whole housing estate where the builders did this to every house, then when a householder complained they said "this is how we always do it".

Anyway.

He probably should have told you, but you'll get nothing from him, you are best just shrugging your shoulders, moving on, and getting someone to install a proper vent.

Thanks - I will speak to him first but assuming he won't do anything about it:

Who do I need to install the vent - an electrician? Builder? Roofer?
How much is it likely to cost?

So - just spoke to the electrician. He said he didn't realise the fan wasn't vented properly as he didn't go up in the loft - he just replaced the fan because it wasn't the right type.

Whether or not it was his fault, I need to get this sorted out, so what type of tradesman do I need?

I take it the extractor is direct mounted in to the ceiling?

You need to find the bore size of the fan unit and marry it to a ducting system of similar gauge.

Here's a site that sells the general range of extractor duct.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Ventilation_Index/index.html

Most would use round flexi duct, and fit a exit grill in the soffit (less hassle than getting on the roof). There's a good chance you will get condensate in the duct due to steam / moist warm air hitting a cold duct in an attic. The general way of avoiding that is to insulate the duct with rockwall loose fibre insulation.

So - just spoke to the electrician. He said he didn't realise the fan wasn't vented properly as he didn't go up in the loft - he just replaced the fan because it wasn't the right type.

Whether or not it was his fault, I need to get this sorted out, so what type of tradesman do I need?
He is under no obligation to go up into your loft to check that it actually vents to free air. You asked him to replace the fan which he did so.

Wasn't intended to be rude - if you look at what other posters on here have written you will see that we have moved past the blame stage (as it's not clear cut whose fault it was) and onto solutions. Everyone else has been very helpful, though I was hoping someone could tell me what sort of tradesperson I would need. Sorry if my reply seemed abrupt. I'm not sure why you called me stupid though, it seems to me you are the rude one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back