Extractor fan not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all some internal lights were removed and the person that did it turned off all the electric rather than the respective lighting circuits.

Now the kitchen extractor fan doesn't work including the lights on the fan. However there is power coming into it as tested by the voltage stick.

Any advice?

Attachments

• IMG_20240515_233937.jpg
    IMG_20240515_233937.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 19
Sponsored Links
Was the fan running when power was cut? Probably just a coincidence the fan unit controls have failed .

Sponsored Links
Was the fan running when power was cut? Probably just a coincidence the fan unit controls have failed .
Unfortunately I don't know I wasn't at home at the time. It's happened before but it worked.

Power is going to the controls but there's something obviously wrong either at the controls...

Last edited:
A volt stick won't prove the neutral is OK AFAIK. There could well be a fuse on the control board, do you know the make and model. I can't make out what it says on your pic

A volt stick won't prove the neutral is OK AFAIK. There could well be a fuse on the control board, do you know the make and model. I can't make out what it says on your pic

Off hand, I can't recall ever seeing a replaceable fuse in a hob extractor. That said, I have fitted less than 10.

I too would be working on the assumption that there is an issue with the neutral.

In my, admittedly very limited experience, the fan part failing is normally down to the capacitor, the inbuilt lights continue to work though.

Tripped circuit or RCD at the fuseboard?

Maybe the fan is wired to the lighting circuit?

Do you have any test kit and for the record a volt stick is not considered test kit

Tripped circuit or RCD at the fuseboard?

Maybe the fan is wired to the lighting circuit?

Do you have any test kit and for the record a volt stick is not considered test kit
Rcd at fuse board. One rooms lights don't work. I'm guessing they're loose.

Tested with multimeter. Only get 240v when prongs in middle and bottom hole. I'm guessing that's the middle one is earth and top one is neutral?

Attachments

• IMG_20240516_191828.jpg
    IMG_20240516_191828.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20240516_193532.jpg
    IMG_20240516_193532.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 16

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back