Kitchen extractor has stopped working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After painting my kitchen, where i eased the extractor forward to cut in with paint, the extractor fan has stopped working. I have power as the lights work. I think that the supply cable had dropped into the fan so think it may have been switched on but the fan was prevented from rotating. Its an electrolux model, so wonder if the switch has failed or the motor has burnt out.

I plan to get a voltmeter at the weekend to see if theres power coming out of the switch to the fan.

Any help appreciated.

Jim

Sponsored Links
It be anything, if you have eased away from wall, instead removing correctly. You could have out strain on cable terminals and either loosened one or more or caused damage to them.

Then there is also the possibility that the appliance is plugged in behind the ex-fan enclosure and easing away has eased away the plug from socket, then it could be a fuse that has blown in either plug or fuse connection, also if a switched fuse connection has been located behind the enclosure, when the unit was eased forward then back, the switch may have made contact with something that has forced it into the off position.
It is also worth checking if the fan is on it's own circuit and fuse/device has not tripped at the board, this will also require investigation in trip why fuse/device has tripped.

Those are some of the simply diagnosis, it could be then an appliance fault. If you also been easing or disconnecting switches and light fittings associated to circuit the fan is on, you could have also introduced the fault one of them locations.

Thanks for the reply.

That was my initial thought but I have power from the spur as the lights on the extractor work and the power neon on the extractor is on. I'm leaning towards the motor being fried or the switch blown. A new motor is £180 and a new extractor hood starts at £49....Just a pain to fit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back