Extractor Fan query.....building regs.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to install an extractor fan in a newly extended bathroom, this is a requirement of the building regulations. I have bought a showerlite fan kit
where the main fan is mounted remotely to the bathroom, therefore I think that this means I do not need a qualified electrician to check and certify it safe...........Does anyone know if this is ok.

I have to get this approved by a building inspector, and I dont want to pay for an electrian if possible.

Sponsored Links
As the fan will be controlled from the Bathroom in some way either via the light or it's own controller, I don't think your argument will hold water with your LABC. The best thing to do is asked them.

if the fan is on the plans then surely its already been notified and its BCs job to check it.

the new restrictions over fans are to do with extraction rates not so much with how they are installed. you need to prove that the extractor offers the correct amount of forced ventilation as well as natural draught.

Sponsored Links
lcgs said:
the new restrictions over fans are to do with extraction rates not so much with how they are installed. you need to prove that the extractor offers the correct amount of forced ventilation as well as natural draught.

:evil:

The fan was on the on the approved plans with an extraction rate of 15 litres per second. The problem is it got overlooked, but it was noticed as missing by the building inspector, thus it is now holding up the extension building regs certificate. The rest of the electrical work was done by a approved a electrician and has passed, however I am flat broke and I really do not want to pay out for another part p certificate if possible.

The question is if I fit this myself, by basically breaking into the bathroom light feed in the attic and fitting the fan in the attic venting out via the soffit, do I need an approved electrician and safety certificate ? given that all the electrical work is in the attic and totally isolated from the bathroom :confused:

mrmxg05 said:
The problem is it got overlooked, but it was noticed as missing by the building inspector, thus it is now holding up the extension building regs certificate

I would have thought that the building inspector would want to see a test cert for the fan wiring installation before he issues BRC. You may be able to argue that the sparks left an isolator in the loft ready for you to connect the fan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back