Certificate for bathroom spotlights and extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've had our bathroom fitted with an extractor fan, overboarded ceiling with spotlights. The bathroom fitter in his quote stated that the electrical work would be undertaken by an elecsa approved electrician. Should this mean that they would be self certified and adhere to p - part, provide the certificate etc. I don't know about building regs and it's only now the job is nearly done and reading through this forum that I've seen comment about this.

The builder at no point made any mention of certificates or regulations etc, just the reference about the electrician being elecsa approved.

What's the situation, do we make sure they provide the certificate or do we need to get onto building control and spend a lot of extra money ourselves?

Sponsored Links
We've had our bathroom fitted with an extractor fan, overboarded ceiling with spotlights. The bathroom fitter in his quote stated that the electrical work would be undertaken by an elecsa approved electrician. Should this mean that they would be self certified and adhere to p - part, provide the certificate etc. I don't know about building regs and it's only now the job is nearly done and reading through this forum that I've seen comment about this.
It is a legal requirement that all electrical work complies with Part P of the Building Regs, but that merely means that it has to be done 'safely'. If there were no 'new circuits' involved (i.e. if an existing lighting circuit was used) and if the ceiling is at least 2.25m above floor level, then the work may well not be 'notifiable', in which case 'self-certification' (or notification to LABC) would not be necessary. However, an electrician undertaking any electrical work should provide a certificate - either an EIC (Electrical Installation Certificate' or a 'minor works' alternative.

Kind Regards, John

As above all electrical should comply to part p, this is a legal requirement.
Normally on alteration to existing or replacement fittings a minor work cert would be issued, but an electrical installation cert could also be issued.

If the circuit is new and/or new non-existing accessories were installed to an existing circuit within the bathroom zones, this would then be deemed notifiable.

The installer has option on what method is used to notify.
*Notify via an application building controls, prior starting the work. (Normally done by none registered installers)
*Notify via a scheme provider, prior or on completion of work. (This would be done by an installer that is registered with one of the part p approved scheme providers, which ELECSA are. Elecsa allow the installer one month to notify the work, this paperwork can take up to six weeks after it has been notified to be proessed. But you still require a test certificate from the electrician, that would normally be issued very soon after completion of work.

If you have concerns, you will be able to search to see if the installer is registered.
http://www.electricalsafetyregister.com/
http://www.competentperson.co.uk/

Sponsored Links
Elecsa allow the installer one month to notify the work, this paperwork can take up to six weeks after it has been notified to be proessed.
The approved document states 14 days to take 21 days OK but 70 days is clearly not acceptable.
Indeed. However, don't forget that, as per my post above, it's very possible that the work was not notifiable - in which case and EIC or Minor Works certificate is all that would be expected.

Kind Regards, John

When my son had to deal with Liverpool LABC they could not have been more helpful. Flintshire was a real pain but Liverpool were great.

So if your having a problem I would pop in and ask their advice.

When my son had to deal with Liverpool LABC they could not have been more helpful. Flintshire was a real pain but Liverpool were great. So if your having a problem I would pop in and ask their advice.
That's interesting - but would it not be wisest, and most sensible, for the OP to attempt to ascertain whether or not the work actually was notifiable before considering speaking to LABC - since they presumably will have 'no interest' (and would not really be able to offer any/much advice) if it were not notifiable work?

Kind Regards, John

Thanks everyone! I've asked the contractors that fitted the bathroom and did all the building work to provide us with certificates and any formal evidence of legal requirements for the electrical work, I'm a bit worried that I won't hear anything from them now (there was a few things they needed to finish and for the past few days they've given times but not turned up) so it will probably get messy trying to resolve this!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back