Extractor Fan Regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Now I have found this form I keep thinking of questions.

I have just moved into a brand new home and the bathroom light and extractor are wired together so when you turn the light on the extractor comes on. When you turn the light off the fan continues for a good 10mins afterwards. Is this standard? can it be changed?

Ant

Sponsored Links
Yes it's standard.

You go in the bathroom, the fan comes on.
You do a poo, it smells.
Yo leave and the light goes off.

The fan continues to extract the poo smell.

Standard stuff.

You may have an override switch, if not you can get one fitted but essentially its a god idea to have it on.

Why do you want to change it? perhaps reduce the time?

They should have an overide, IMO, not by law maybe but just good practice. You don't need the fan on when you go for pee at 3am or want a nice quiet bath etc.

Sponsored Links
That's not the point though is it. I suppose when I or the missus go into the bathroom at midnight scrub our teeth or whatever we should light a candle? Or should I have to switch on the light and fan and risk waking the kids? Its obviously less of any issue if the fan is quiet but a typical developer house will be noisy as hell.

It cost a developer a couple of quid to add an overun switch, its done to save a few quid. End of story.

The OP just needs to add an overun switch if he wants to turn it off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back