Extractor Fan to Bathroom Light...again!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

sorry I know there's been similar posts, but none seem to addres my exact issue (as I'm getting used to since moving into this funhouse!)

Basically the bathroom extractor fan died. As the LED on the timer unit was still coming on, and the fan blades where free to move, I assumed it would most likely be the fan that had broke, so I bought a new one and replaced the old one (wiring it exactly as the old one was (just had a live and neutral connection to the fan motor)

this didn't work, so My next port of call was the timer unit. after establishing that the LED on the timer is linked directly to the bathroom lights (ie not attached to any circuitry within the timer unit) I decided to try to remove the timer from the equation, this way at least the fan would be on with the light)

I opened the light pull chord and everything fell apart, so I had no time to see how it was wired. However I had the following cables...

One gray cable which had one blue, one brown and one bare wire wthin it.

2 gray cables that had a red and a bare wire each within them.

after a lot of messing about and trips to the attic, i thought the 2nd to cables with just red and bare wires must be for the lights, as the lights work when I attach one to the Com connection of the switch and one to the 1 way or 2 way connection of the switch.

So my next move was to take the cable from the fan which was connected to the timer unit and byepass the timer, sending it straight to the light switch.

So now I have

1 cable from fan Fan - Brown and blue (bare unused)
2 cables from Lights circuit - red (bare not used) EACH
1 cable from Timer Red, brown & bare none connected

The red wires are still connected as above, but no matter which way I wire the blue and brown wires from the fan, all I can get is the fan on when the light is off and visa versa.

I know i've prob missed a tonne of info you may need to diagnose so feel free to ask but i've done a rough circuit diagram below...

thanks in advance for any advice.

Paul

[/img]

Sponsored Links
thanks for your responses.

Mark, I've got a neutral going from switch to fan, should I have one going from light circuit to switch too? It is working, just the opposite way to how I want it to work, fan or light on, as opposed to fan and light on.

John, thanks for the circuit, but I don't have a separate isolator for the fan, it was all wired into the lightswitch?

I also only have L and N at the fan? not the SL connection in your diagram john?

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
I don't have a timer, this is the problem, I'm trying to remove the timer from the circuit so that the fan just comes on with the light, but all I can get is the fan coming on when the light is off?

I don't have a timer, this is the problem, I'm trying to remove the timer from the circuit so that the fan just comes on with the light, but all I can get is the fan coming on when the light is off?

Pictures please...

Mark, I've got a neutral going from switch to fan,
Not according to your diagram.

should I have one going from light circuit to switch too?
Which means you don't already have one.

How on earth do you think one could possibly go from the switch to the fan if one never goes to the switch in the first place?

It is working, just the opposite way to how I want it to work, fan or light on, as opposed to fan and light on.
What happens if you take the bulb out?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back