Extractor fan trial

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I purchased an extractor fan that has a sensor in it for moisture, not quite decided where to fit it in my bathroom yet as it’s still work in progress, I want to trial it temp in my other bathroom, can I wire a plug to it and test it in there after a shower when it’s steamy under full control? (Plugged in another room)

Sponsored Links
I purchased an extractor fan that has a sensor in it for moisture, not quite decided where to fit it in my bathroom yet as it’s still work in progress, I want to trial it temp in my other bathroom, can I wire a plug to it and test it in there after a shower when it’s steamy under full control? (Plugged in another room)

From a practical point of view, that is possible - but from a safety point of view, that would be very dangerous.

I would agree with @Harry Bloomfield and also point out it would not really test it.

You need the sensor to detect moisture before it builds up too much, as other wise once the fan starts it can draw in so much moisture the sensor is soaking wet, and then they take an age to dry out again, my dads could run for hours before it was dry again, and in real terms it was a failure.

It is the same with any humidity meter, one in my house showing between 40 and 80% works fine, but tried on in a woodland where humidity could hit 90% and the same problem, it just would never dry out, put it in doors for a week and it would work normal again, but the sensors do not like high humidity, we had to revert to wet/dry thermometer method.

From a practical point of view, that is possible - but from a safety point of view, that would be very dangerous.
I'm not sure that I would describe it as "very dangerous" if it had a long cable which, as the OP has indicated, was 'plugged in in another room.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
You need the sensor to detect moisture before it builds up too much ...
Indeed - but, for what it's worth, in my experience they usually don't achieve that. If there are cold walls/ceilings/windows on which moisture can (and will) condense, my experience is that such condensation will already have started happening long before a humidistat turns on the fan - and once condensation has happened, the fan will not reverse that (at least, not at a useful speed).

Kind Regards, John

Not enough terminals in a plug for a timed humidstadt?

Blup

Not enough terminals in a plug for a timed humidstadt?
Why not? Provided it is just a 'timed humidistat' (and we haven't even been told that it is 'timed'), if that is all it is (i.e. not also activated by light), then it will only need a N and permanent L - as available in any plug, won't it?

Kind Regards, John

Fair enough, I suppose the plug is the switch.

Blup

Indeed - but, for what it's worth, in my experience they usually don't achieve that. If there are cold walls/ceilings/windows on which moisture can (and will) condense, my experience is that such condensation will already have started happening long before a humidistat turns on the fan - and once condensation has happened, the fan will not reverse that (at least, not at a useful speed).

Which is why you purchase a fan, which includes PIR, timer, and humidistat.

Which is why you purchase a fan, which includes PIR, timer, and humidistat.
Yes, maybe - or, at least, one which is not only controlled by a humidistat - since, as I implied they tend to be the business of closing barn doors after horses have bolted. BAS always used to advocate a flow sensor on a water supply pipe to the shower - which sounds like a reasonable idea.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back