Extractor fan, 3 amp fuse in FCU keeps blowing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The 3 amp fuse in the FCU for my bathroom extractor fan keeps blowing. I have been up in the loft on 2 occasions to replace it.

The 1st time it happened I assumed that some rain was blowing in from outside so I taped it up hoping that this would solve the problem however after replacing the fuse yesterday it worked for about 24 hours until I was in a steamy shower yesterday and it went pop.

Any idea what it may be? I would have though that an extractor fan would be made to withstand the odd steamy shower? You think it may be faulty?

Many thanks to anyone that takes the time to respond :D

Sponsored Links
Where is the fan?

What IP rating is it?

Is there anything else off that spur?

Why is it in the loft?

Where is the fan?
It is opposite the shower about a foot from the ceiling

What IP rating is it?
IP - 44 what ever that means, just took the front off ;o)

Is there anything else off that spur?
No this the only thing on the spur, there is brand new wiring leading from the new consumer unit up to the loft where the power is distribute to the 4 new down lights and to the fused 3 amp switch for the Fan.

Why is it in the loft?
Just the FCU and the down lights are in the loft above

And definitely, when the fuse goes, or if you remove it, the only thing that stops working is the fan?

Faulty fan or faulty wiring to it.

there is brand new wiring leading from the new consumer unit up to the loft where the power is distribute to the 4 new down lights and to the fused 3 amp switch for the Fan.
So is all the wiring, including the FCU and the cable to the fan brand new? Has it ever worked properly?

Who installed the cables? Did they test them?

Sponsored Links
yup, the only thing that switches off when the fuse blows is the fan.

All wiring and FCU is about 10 months old and the fan worked fine for 8 months. This time I was present when the fan went pop, the bang did not come from the loft (FCU) but from the extractor fan itself.

So you heard the fan make a noise which most people would associate with a failure, but you don't appear to think it likely that the fan has developed a fault? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

On swapping the fuse for the 3rd time the fan worked briefly before the fuse blew again.

I think I'll get the fan swapped out in 1st instance and some how get to the outside of the building to install a cover to protect from the rain.

There should be a flappy thing outside that stops the rain, and flying things, getting into the fan. Don't you have one?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back