Extractor fan wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just fitted an extractor fan into our bath room and ran the cables into place.

I've got a schneider 3 pole isolation switch and terminals are marked Live 1 Live 3 and neutral.

Which of the lives go to the timer and which one goes to the switch? Or can I use either?

Thanks

Jacka

Sponsored Links
You can use the L terminals for permanent live or switch live either way around, it doesn't really matter. I is just a 3 pole switch

Cheers spark

Out of curiosity does it matter which side you put which cable in the switch.

For example the one I have has l1 l2 & N at the top and there's the same at the bottom. The cable from the light, where the power is coming from, should that be at the top or does it not matter?

Sponsored Links
Cheers spark

For example the one I have has l1 l2 & N at the top and there's the same at the bottom. The cable from the light, where the power is coming from, should that be at the top or does it not matter?
It doesn't matter, but normally you would expect the terminals to be mark load-supply or in-out.

Cheers spark

It doesn't matter, but normally you would expect the terminals to be mark load-supply or in-out.
Remember that the ex-fan will require RCD protection if in a bath/shower room.
Also some Ex-fans MI states they require a 3A supply.

Cheers the one I have doesn't .

One last question given my mate the electrician is out on the tiles. I've got an icon 15 with a timer module. I've got three core an earth to the isolation switch and from the isolation switch to the fan.

The module is marked L , N & T

I'm assuming that the live is permanent live and neutral is obvious and T is from the light switch???? Can anyone confirm.

Also I was planning to use the grey as the Nuetral the black as the permanent live and the brown from the light switch. Does that sound right

Cheers the one I have doesn't .

One last question given my mate the electrician is out on the tiles. I've got an icon 15 with a timer module. I've got three core an earth to the isolation switch and from the isolation switch to the fan.

The module is marked L , N & T

I'm assuming that the live is permanent live and neutral is obvious and T is from the light switch???? Can anyone confirm.

Also I was planning to use the grey as the Nuetral the black as the permanent live and the brown from the light switch. Does that sound right

Confirmed.

Use the Brown for permanent live.
It doesn't matter but it makes more sense.

Black for switched live which should be sleeved (or taped) with brown .

The lighting circuit has rcd protection (full rewire last year).

In regards to fused down... No. I didn't know that was a requirement. My other fan in the other bathroom doesn't have this and I had an icon 15 in my last house and that didn't.

I better have a look

Is this a fused spur?
Where would this fit in my circuit.
Option B under the wiring part of the installation instructions outlines how you should set up your circuit to include the Fused Connection Unit (fused spur).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back