Extractor Fan Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Ive done a quick search and think Ive found the answer to this, but i just want to make sure.

I am replacing a non timed extractor with a timed extractor in the bathroom.
At the moment the fan is switched on via a pull switch that does not do the lighting.
Can i replace the twin and earth from the switch to the extractor with 3 core and earth instead or could i use the earth on the existing cable which is not required on the new fan?

Thanks in advance.
mark

Sponsored Links
No - replace the twin and earth for 3 core and earth.Permenant live to L,
switched live to SL and neutral to N are some common terminal identifiers

Sarah

having a timed extractor on a pull switch with no light is confusing as hell.

rememeber you can always wire a timer fan to act as a non timer one by joining its live and switched live together.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your quick replies.

i didnt realise by joining the Live and Switched Live you can make it work without the timer. I may just do that as replacing the cable is a bit problematic.

You are right Plugwash, the setup is confusing and a bit stupid because the light switch is outside the bathroom in the hallway.

Luckily for me, i went into the loft to pull the ducting over the new fan and discovered a mouse had chewed through a piece of cable, little bugger!

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back