Extractor fan Xpelair XIM - switch neutral true or false

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey
Ive been narrowing down my search for the most efective/reliable/price model.
Ive read good reviews about the Xpelair XIM100 T one (inline fan for loft):
http://www.screwfix.com/p/xpelair-x...Search-_-SearchRec-_-Area3&_requestid=1260080

However - someone posted this review for it:
"This fan requires you to switch the neutral to make it operate, this is frowned upon by the wiring regs and also means that it can not be switched on with the bathroom light as this has a switched live. steer well clear and buy the vent axia equivalent instead."

Is this true - you need switch the neutral?

Sponsored Links
This is the actual review -

"This fan requires you to switch the neutral to make it operate, this is frowned upon by the wiring regs and also means that it can not be switched on with the bathroom light as this has a switched live. steer well clear and buy the vent axia equivalent instead."

Absolute nonsense, except the 'frowned upon' part - from someone who hasn't a clue.

Switched neutrals are not allowed.

Dual poll, switching both is standard. And that's what it does.

Sponsored Links
It is a 'family' bathroom, but small. Typical old mid-terrace one, around 1.8 x 2,5 square meters.

Im looking at a centrifugal inline one installed to loft.. budget up to £100.

I would look at the Manrose SCF200T:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-chrome-white-35w-in-line-centrifugal-shower-fan-kit/41379

Being centrifugal it copes well with ducted runs and, not least given the remote inline mounting location, is extremely quiet in use.

It is rated to give an extraction rate of 110m3/hr. Your bathroom of 11.25m3 volume requires a recommend minimum 3 air changes per hour so even accepting manufacturer's test results for ideal conditions there should be enough margin for adequate ventilation.

We've got one in use serving a similarly sized en suite (where near silent operation was critical) and can highly recommend it. For £45 it's an absolute steal.

Mathew

Hi

Thats the one I was looking originally.. its actually 25w not 35w. Reviews seem pretty ok to me.

Hi

Thats the one I was looking originally.. its actually 25w not 35w. Reviews seem pretty ok to me.
Yes, it does seem that the listing for that product has often been screwed up. For quite some time the image was wrong and showed a showerlight variation instead so there must have been some mixups somewhere along the way.

Mathew

So the jumpy posting don't buy, it switches on the neutral is half right :LOL:
So which bit of this is right?:

;)

This bit:

This fan requires you to switch the neutral to make it operate
...but there is more to it than that. This fan has a dual speed capability, the selection of which is achieved by changing the neutral connection to one of two terminals.

Thus, if you want to be able to select fan speed through the use of switch then you must fit a toggle switch to alternate the supply neutral to each terminal as required.

However, if you are content with a fixed speed then you can connect the neutral up permanently to one of the terminals, just like any other fan, and control the fan on/off with a conventional switched live.

It's an odd design, but not the showstopper that the review makes out.

Mathew

It's a contravention-of-the-Wiring-Regulations design if you do put a speed switch in as shown.

Not that I'm planning on fitting one, but out of curiosity can you elaborate on what the regulations say on the subject?

Switching the neutral in this situation to control speed (not power) is in addition to, not instead of, switching the live supply so what's the risk/issue being mitigated by the regs?

If the wiring instructions were suggesting a permanent live and switching the neutral to operate (like the reviewer implies) then I can see an obvious issue - a fan with live internals even though it appears to be 'off' - but that's not what the instructions are suggesting to do.

Mathew

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back