Extractor fan Xpelair XIM - switch neutral true or false

I will go for the Manrose 25w from Screwfix...(cheaper than B&Q).
Yes its 'only' a 25w,,, but centrifugal and 100m3/hr should be fine (ducting will be around 1,5 meters anyway, and its a bargain. Will just have a pullcord installed to operate, should be straight forward.

Thanks for your comments, appreciate your expertise! ;)

Sponsored Links
Bought this fan myself and was a bit confused about the wiring, do they expect you to take a spur off the neutral and install a separate switch independent of the light switch and disregard the normal switched live??? In the end I came to the conclusion that the diagram was a bit iffy and wired the fan as normal with a switched live and reversing the permanent live and neutral as they shown on the digram (it's just a motor right?).

Switched live to T
Neutral to L2 (High speed)
Permanent live to N

The fan and timer works fine and I'm so far I'm quite impressed by the performance (and its quiet too).

It would appear that the diagrams are not much help - well, they are wrong.

I have found THIS -

click 'diagrams' then 'wiring'

The diagram is different but equally wrong.

Bought this fan myself and was a bit confused about the wiring, do they expect you to take a spur off the neutral and install a separate switch independent of the light switch and disregard the normal switched live??? In the end I came to the conclusion that the diagram was a bit iffy and wired the fan as normal with a switched live and reversing the permanent live and neutral as they shown on the digram (it's just a motor right?).

Switched live to T
Neutral to L2 (High speed)
Permanent live to N

The fan and timer works fine and I'm so far I'm quite impressed by the performance (and its quiet too).

I had the same problem and reached same workaround... Strangely connectiong the Neutral to L1, which is supposed to be the low speed selection, just causes the fan to permanently run, regardless of wether the light switch is turned on !!!!

Looking on-line there seems to be loads of conflicting stories of incorrect labelling, wiring diagrams etc etc... Nice.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like on balance it could well be a sh*te product made by monkeys and documented by apes?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back