Extractor Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just after some advice on the following.

My extractor fan in the upstairs toilet has burnt out (you can see the motor has burned/charred) (and it smells).

The make is a Silavent HLM4t , 20w. This model is no longer available so i am after a replacement. The fan has a live, neutral and switch live to it from an isolator so you can adjust the time that the fan runs on this switch live after you turn off the light.

Im a little confused as to what im buying basically. Im ok with the dimensional stuff but do they all come with the 'overun' ability? Dont want to purchase one that doesnt stay on for a short while after the light goes out.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
forgot to mention its a ceiling fan. How much am i looking at for one of these?

They don't all come with overrun, but it will always specify on the packaging or you can just ask the shopkeep, assuming you're not in a B&Q and the shopkeep is therefore capable of forming sentences. You're looking at around fifty pounds.

Sponsored Links
You get what you pay for basically. A cheaper one generally won't last as long, suck as much air or run as quietly, but will do the job.

100mm (about 4 inches) is a common standard, though not the only size you can get. Again it says on the packaging/internet sales pitch, along with the required size of the hole needed for the fan body, which will be bigger. You seem reluctant to read the information provided with the fan advert.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back