Extractor Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As some may know, I am beginning to plan a bathroom refit.

The room is like this:

Bathroom.jpg

The bath will go on the LHS, the shower in the bottom RH corner.

As part of this, I'm fitting an extract fan:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SLTD350T.html

With 2m of flexiduct, it can shift 260 m3/h. That's enough for my room size.

Given the grunt of the fan, is it crucial where in the ceiling the grille goes?

PS I will lift the turf before fitting the suite.

Sponsored Links
Good choice of fan! I've installed a few of those.

Personally i would put the extract grill near, or in the shower cubicle as that's where most of the steam is going to be.

That's if steam is your issue.

If its curried egg smells, then put it nearer the WC.

Half way, if its both!

I was thinking mostly of moist air extraction. But ponky air needs expelling too, I suppose.

The loo will be roughly where the "2450mm" is on the plan. Shall I plonk the grille in the middle? Or do you reckon it's best over the cubicle?

If there, will the rest of the room suffer, extraction-wise?

I too have fitted one before in a small ensuite, where the client wanted extra huge extraction (not sure why...) and I was very impressed.

Sponsored Links
Window's along the 2540mm wall & the door is next to the left hand corner cutout.

Normally, the extract is positioned furthest away from where air will enter the room - this is usually via a gap under the door, so the extractor would be located as far from the door as possible.
This ensures a good airflow across the room, and minimises dead areas where stale air can collect.

If the door is in an awkward place such as the centre of a long wall, another option is to have a close fitting door with no gap underneath, and fit an intake vent in one corner at floor level, and the extractor in the ceiling of the opposite corner.

Normally, the extract is positioned furthest away from where air will enter the room -

That is the best for general extraction but if looking to remove water vapour from a shower then over the shower is the place for the vent.

and fit an intake vent in one corner at floor level, and the extractor in the ceiling of the opposite corner.

and aim the flow in the direction of the secondary concern such as the WC smells.

You could ( if space and budget permit ) bring the fresh air from the loft space via a passive air to air heat recovery unit to warm the incoming air from the outgoing air.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back