Extractor fans

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whats the best extractor fans to buy for kitchen and bathroom also maybe lounge? Got damp walls and lounge has wet mark going down side of the underlay all the way down.

Thanks
:)

Sponsored Links
Looks like you have problems beyond that which extractor fans can fix.

Have you had a survey?

extractor fans wont shift damp surely, did you mean dehumidifier?

Extractor fans are first line of attack, they shift damp air from inside to the outside so water don't condense on inside walls. If he hasn't got extractor fans in bathroom/kitchen then fitting them is the first thing he needs to do. Wouldn't put one in lounge, definitely need kitchen and bathroom though. See if that fixes it.

Needs hefty holes drilling in wall/ceiling and new electrikery cables putting in. Either get one which turns on when you switch light on (more cables) or one which turns on when humidity reaches certain level (still needs electrics but not as complicated).

Sponsored Links
You sound like you got problems, riseing damp will only rise about 3' above ground level, if you have an external wall that can cause damp higher up, in modern houses moisture will build up if you dont open the windows, Victorian sash windows didn't have this problem, without more info i assume your not useing a bottle gas heater, i would advise opening top lites on your windows and getting a through draft.

You sound like you got problems, riseing damp will only rise about 3' above ground level, if you have an external wall that can cause damp higher up, in modern houses moisture will build up if you dont open the windows, Victorian sash windows didn't have this problem, without more info i assume your not useing a bottle gas heater, i would advise opening top lites on your windows and getting a through draft.

I keep hearing on here that rising damp is a myth?

Rising damp is no myth, what sort of floor have you got, wood or screed??

Whats the best extractor fans to buy for kitchen and bathroom also maybe lounge? Got damp walls and lounge has wet mark going down side of the underlay all the way down.

Extractors will help in the bathroom and kitchen if there is a condensation problem, usually resulting in mould formation. Fans won't do anything if the problem is damp though. Wouldn't advise a fan in the lounge, not only noisy, but will suck all of the heat out of the room.

If it is actually damp, start by having a look outside for obvious reasons, eg. leaking/overflowing gutters and drain pipes, blown rendering, breached DPC, etc, etc.

They've been getting a lot of rain up there i believe.

So JWW, what sort of house have you got? when was it built?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back