Extreme condensation - Possible cold bridge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Me and the girlfriend bought a house around this time last year, needed a fair amount of work doing to it, so only moved in a few months ago.

I noticed around November last year that there was water running down each side of the front bedroom's bay window. I suspected that it was some bad roofing felt on top of the window (it's a flat roof on the bay). I went up and it was looking all brand new - but I decided to put a strip of flash banding to the soffits under the main gutter (totally a hopeful guess that it was water pooling, and running back towards the house).

We left the house alone for much of December-January, working primarily on the kitchen downstairs. Occasionally I would check the window, but it seemed to be mostly okay. We moved in during later spring, and it seemed okay.

As we've seen a drop in temperature (but also more rain!), the water visible inside the house has got steadily work, and last week we noticed that we had actual water droplets forming, and shortly after, an outbreak of mould popped up.

I suspect that a concrete lintel is above the bay window, and this has been directly plastered over internally - this is causing a cold spot that all the now warm, moist air is condensing on.
I took a small drill bit and drilled where the damp is forming, and that appeared to be the case - almost instantly hitting concrete.

Are there any thoughts on how to recifty this? I was thinking some kingspan backed plasterboard on the "ceiling" of the bay, and then somehow join that to the internal wall, and make good. I'm not sure if this will just hide the issue (and subsequently a few months down the line, have water plasterboard), rather than rectify it?

We are hoping to replace the windows before the real chill of winter kicks in, as most have moisture trapped inside the panes, including the one in bay, as you'll see from the photo.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20201016_122849.jpg
    IMG_20201016_122849.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 397
  • IMG_20201016_122902.jpg
    IMG_20201016_122902.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 392
  • IMG_20201016_123515.jpg
    IMG_20201016_123515.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 391
Sponsored Links
What you plan to do will just hide the issue

You have a leak that's not cold bridging

Can you show us pics of the flat roof and wall around the window?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back