Water sitting under bottom of window frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
We had new windows fitted last year and for the past few months they have been covered in condensation every morning, also we need the bay window all the silicone has gone mouldy and all the plaster is also going damp and wet.
After removing all the plaster under the bay I’ve discovered there’s a gap between the bottom of the window frame and the wooden frame of the bay and has water droplets sat in between. Can anyone help with this? Please see pictures.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1510.jpeg
    IMG_1510.jpeg
    331.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1511.jpeg
    IMG_1511.jpeg
    299.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1512.jpeg
    IMG_1512.jpeg
    251 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1513.jpeg
    IMG_1513.jpeg
    285 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1422.jpeg
    IMG_1422.jpeg
    213.4 KB · Views: 26
Sponsored Links
you can easily enough google why condensation happens
buy a an infrared temperature gun, they're about £20 off amazon.
determine the temperature of the room, the wall the frame(s) and the glass. if you find that the temperature of the frame is less than the glass and wall then that is where the cold is coming from and that is (probably) why condensation happens there
now you have to ask if the cold comes from incorrect installation or faulty construction. it could be either but the former is most likely.
if you have a fensa certificate then the glass will be self-certified as meeting the latest building regs (2022)

bay windows are particulalry bad as you can see from your pictures. there is little to even stop the inner wall from getting cold (no cavity wall for example)

i suspect that your wall/windows are not airtight. the airflow introduces the ability for condensation to happen

just my 2c. i'm not an expert

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back