Extremely noisy washing machine.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my washing machine was noisy when it spun back in 2017, had to have a whole new drum plus new door seal fitted. Now suddenly its noisier than ever, I mean when we are in the kitchen its impossible to talk as its so unbelievably loud when it spins. I have turned the drum round by hand and it sounds very loud and chunky if you kind of understand what I mean. I cannot bear it anymore as it actually hurts my head where it is so extremely loud on a spin, what could it be!!

I am moving in 3 weeks time and the only place for the washing machine is in the conservatory, but Christ that's going to make it sound even louder, I will have new neighbours complaining.

Sponsored Links
It is 7 years old but I bought a good one, as it has a really large drum so takes a full size duvet. Is 7 years old very old or not too much!

The clunking noise is likely to be the drum bearings.....its unusual for them to pack in so soon, but -
Heavy loads which sometimes spin out of balance, bath mats, dog blankets etc do knock hell out of things so its often best to have them done at a commercial cleaners and keep your machine for lighter stuff, if you want it to last.
I'd expect around 10 years from a machine on average if it has a relatively easy time.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I say modern appliances 5 years or less especially now that components are made in China.

At this present time I will have to put up with the noise, I just cannot afford to replace the one I have. It was an expensive washing machine and it still does a really good wash and spin, so it seems such a shame to just get rid of it.

Ours lasted 5 years before the drum bearings packed in, it was a "sealed drum" and the part wasn't far off the cost of a new machine!.

If they bearings have started to go I'll escalate very quicky from noisey to completely broken..

What make & model was it & who replaced the drum assembly? What warranty did you get with the repair? Can you take the top off & make sure the spider ( large drum drive wheel) & belt are ok?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back