F and E tank puzzle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a strange issue going on with my f & e tank. I will try to give a detailed account:

We had a constant drip into the tank at the beginning of jan and obviously we assumed we had a leak.

a leak detection company was employed and they found a leak using trace gas under the kitchen cupboards.
Rather than digging up the pipes, we decided to reroute them but the strange thing is when the leak detection company left (before we actually fixed the leak) the dripping in the f and e tank stopped.
We still rerouted pipes to be on safe side.

I then tested the system by:
1) checking f and e tank in morning(when cold) and watched no drips into tank for 15 minutes
2) held ball cock up for 1.5 hours and then dropped still no drops so assumed leak fixed so no further problems.

Since then I have noticed a couple of times I have gone into the loft and found the big cold water tank is dripping (it had a new ball cock fitted a couple of months ago). When I push down on that ball cock to fill it, the f and e tank also adds water.

this morning I went up when heating was cold and both tanks were dripping a bit and when I pressed ball cock on big cold water tank the f and e tank stopped dripping so much. It continued to drip for a minute or two and then I stood and watched it for at least 30 mins and not a drop came out (so I don’t think it is a leak anymore)

the heating then fired up and we had a few drops into f and e tank for a minute or two and then nothing for 15 minutes

Any thoughts on what is going on?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back