F&E cistern tank water minimum water level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whilst eveyone jumped onto the 'just convert to a sealed system' bandwagon (even though I have previously stated I have old pipework in this house) the problem is likely to be that the F&E cistern in the loft only has 4 cm of water in it. I would think that a slight bending of the ball valve arm to allow the tank to fill up to 10cm will then allow all my top floor rads to be fully purged of air and filled with water.

You will recall this recent thread where only one expert actually posted a helpful post, rather than a one line answer. :)

//www.diynot.com/diy/threads/quick-central-heating-question.426688/

So, I stand by my original statement, these forums are mostly ****e. :D Sealed system my arse !!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
It would be quite easy to find a solution to your problem by looking at an accurate but simple diagram of your system, but you refused to even do this. It's very difficult to diagnose from a distance with little to go on. I've read the previous thread, and can see why it ended up locked. I would give you the benefit of my 45+ years of experience, but like you I can't be ar5ed.

If the forums are mostly sh1te why the fook have you started another thread ? do you really think anybody is going to put any effort into helping you :unsure:

You will need a metric adjustable spanner to tighten up the durgo valve on the in line pipe work to the expansion tank.

It would be quite easy to find a solution to your problem by looking at an accurate but simple diagram of your system, but you refused to even do this. It's very difficult to diagnose from a distance with little to go on. I've read the previous thread, and can see why it ended up locked. I would give you the benefit of my 45+ years of experience, but like you I can't be ar5ed.

Ex BG, the biggest fooking cowboys known to man !!! You can keep your 45 years of experience mate. What good did it do you I wonder ! :D

Ex BG, the biggest fooking cowboys known to man !!! You can keep your 45 years of experience mate. What good did it do you I wonder ! :D

Living a comfortable live I would assume, bet he hasn't got cold rads.

:rolleyes:

It got me a fantastic pension. I've met many like you throughout my career sonny, and everyone a loser. Happy days.

Yeah, happy days for you maybe, not so happy for all the poor people your employer screwed over the years, and whilst profits were maximised through rip off service contracts and call outs, the BG staff earn a pittance.

And you call me a loser?!!! :D

Maybe, with your great pension you will be able to buy your council house at last? :)

Perhaps you should have bought shares in British Gas?

The current earnings of a hard working BG engineer are apparently about £45k which is above or on a par with a solicitor or accountant working for a local authority.

But new entrants dont get the final salary pension scheme any more.

Tony

I would think that a slight bending of the ball valve arm to allow the tank to fill up to 10cm will then allow all my top floor rads to be fully purged of air and filled with water.

You dont need to do that and you might break it anyway!

But you can create the same effect by adding a small bucket of water until it reaches the ideal 100 mm depth.

Tony

Well scotty, you're finally showing your true colours now, and that's why no one will help you.

Ever heard the saying, "the harder he worked, the luckier he got".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back