f&e tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
wonder if anyone can help. I have 9 radiators and was wondering how full should my f&e tank be,Im going to be draining down and changing the float valve, and flush out system,as ive got sludge in upstairs radiators.I had a look at tank and it was almost to overflow, just wondered what it would normally be as i will need to adjust the float. many thanks

Sponsored Links
When the system is cold the F&E tank only needs to be 1/3 full.

And when the entire system is at its maximum working temperature, the water level should still be a good few inches below the level of the overflow.

The operative word here is that it's an Expansion tank. Lots of them are incorrectly set up as water storage tanks. The damage that can be caused by a few decades of a small overflow on start-up is mind boggling.

It's best to switch to a sealed system with an expansion vessel in most cases.

Sponsored Links
ALSO, the overflow should be below the float valve i.e. the float valve should not be submerged when overflow situation occurs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back