F-f-f-f-freezing!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

On Sunday evening my radiators stopped working downstairs.

I checked the small header tank in the loft to make sure that it had water in, it had.

I bled the radiators, starting upstairs and moving gradually downstairs.

I had little success. The downstarir rads got lukewarm and then went cold again.

I uncoupled the downstairs rads, took them outside and flushed each (3) of them until the water coming out was clear, then bought some sludge remover and put it in the tank.

I bled the radiators but only the upstairs ones retained their heat.

On monday I bled the radiators thoroughly, shutting off all but the first until the water was piping hot until moving to the next one where I;d open that radiator.

Now, none of the radiators, including the first one stays warm for longer than ten minutes.

I recently had a towel rail style radiator fitted in the bathroom, but the heating was ok post-installation.

We called for plumbing assistance, but they won't be coming until friday evening, have you any suggestions, as it's murder at night, especially for the kids.

The water heater is fine, the water to the first radiator is hot, I bled it earlier today for about 15 mins before capping it again. Shortly after the rad was getting colder.
All other rads are turned off.

It is a gravity system, not a pump.Any help will be gratefully received.

Br-r-r-r-r-r-r

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't bother having a repair to your system as it needs upgrading to being fully pumped.
It will be more efficient for you and I can recommend a good local bloke as you are in my area. :D

Is this the only solution then Bahco?

It worked fine up until the weekend.

Is there anything I can do short-term as it's freezing at night as I'm sure you can appreciate.

The house feels damp and is very colde - the gas fire is on but only heats the living room, conservatory.

Is there a way I cold even get a couple of rads on the go?

Appreciate your help! :LOL:

Out of curiosity- what pump have you got- try giving it a thump, and or adjust flow valve from centre up and centre down. I'm not up in this- just trying to help as it sounds like pump inefficiency to me.

Sponsored Links
Sorry if I am putting down 'red herrings' I just can't imagine a full gravity system- unless the boiler is in the cellar! (maybe I should be in the cellar!) :)

I agree with Bylough - it's unlikely to be a fully gravity system.

Can you give us more information? Like, the location of boiler and cylinder, the type of programmer and any other controls that you have on the system (thermostats, zone valves, etc.)?

If it turns out that you do have a pump, then it's likely that the pump is worn, or faulty, or sludged up, or all three.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back