Fabricating glass fibre tray for a vivarium

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking for advice on working with glass fibre. I've not worked with it before, but intend to be making a long shallow basemat/tray for a vivarium (a glorified piece of furniture that has heat and UV light to keep a reptile in).

The tray/base mat will be 145x55x15 and built up using the cabinet itself as a mould (so some kind of plastic sheeting in there first to protect it and to act as a release method).

I know I need CSM, enough resin to cover the area, and then a flowcoat for the top.

I think I may also need "surface tissue" to apply before the flowcoat to give a finer finish.

I am unsure how many layers, or what weight, I should be using for this tray. It doesn't need to particularly heavyweight - it will have corners, edges, built in "ribbing" for rigidity etc, but it does need to be self supporting so it can be removed in entirety and hosed down.

As I understand it, the flow coat is different to gelcoat, and gel coat is appropriate only if making something in a mould - I will be making it from the inside out as it were, much like small pond liner. (i.e. smooth face on the inside).

Is it okay to use a thick plastic dust sheet , carefully formed/folded into corners to create a barrier between the fibre and the wood I want to protect - does the resin rot through it, or become difficult to peel it away?

What weight, or how many layers of CSM is appropriate? I was imagining a final thickness of 2-4mm

This is the closest thing I can find on the 'net to my "vision"
fibre%20glass%20tray.png

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
Nozzle, good evening.

Saw your post and thought of UTube?

There are thousands of videos that are for the most part at least fairly accurate, can I suggest that you go on to that site and look for Glass fibre?

I for one know little on the subject, all I know is that the various gels Etc. smell strongly?

Hope this assists.

Ken.

My background is architecture and we do a lot of commercial aquariums so I know a little about this kind of thing albeit on a different scale, had you considered making your tray out of say 6mm plywood and then wrapping the whole thing, in the corners say a 25mm fillet could be employed to ensure the grp goes on nicely. Trying to make a grp only tray seems unnecessary to me. There are plenty of online suppliers selling kits for DIY use for ponds etc eg http://www.ecfibreglasssupplies.co.uk/p-1543-pond-packs.aspx That's exactly how a tank in a commercial aquarium would be constructed, plywood with a grp wrap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back