Facebook copyright issues question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I have just had a video removed from facebook for copyright infringement
as "it appears to contain copyrighted material" video,audio etc
but if I believed it was taken down in error I had to fill in an online form, name address tel no etc before they would reinstate it
Thing is, that is all there was on the form, no box to give an explaination or ask a question, nor does there seem to be an easy way to email a relevant facebook team, so hopefully someone on here might know

The offending video contains my daughter singing to a backing track
the video and vocal was recorded and mixed in my studio by me but the backing track (purchased so owned by me) is third party so I think this may be what the problem is, but I can't find a way to ask them
The vids back up as I filled in the counter notice but I will take it down if it does indeed infringe any copyright
anyone shed any light?

Matt

Sponsored Links
Matt, as you thought, it will be infringement of copyright of the music that is the issue.

You need the author / owners permission to use the track.

Matt, as you thought, it will be infringement of copyright of the music that is the issue.

You need the author / owners permission to use the track.

Thanks Lou thats what I thought, but my point is that as its off a legit karaoke disc that I own, surely when I bought it I also bought permission to use it

Matt

I would say you bought the right to use it at home for karaoke, but not for public broadcast, which is effectively what you are doing by putting it on Facebook.

Sponsored Links
Try posting the video again, did Facebook remove it or has someone on your friends list reported it. The chances are its someone on your friends list.

I would say you bought the right to use it at home for karaoke, but not for public broadcast, which is effectively what you are doing by putting it on Facebook.

Hi Keyplayer thanks for your input
no it wasn't for home,(well now it is) I bought it when I used to run a karaoke/disco show, and the video is not open to the public its only available to friends

Exactly right, home use, ok public display you need permission.

Wotan

Try posting the video again, did Facebook remove it or has someone on your friends list reported it. The chances are its someone on your friends list.

Hi snico it was facebook that removed it (as soon as I uploaded it)
it was reinstated as soon as I filled in the counter claim form
I think they just wanted a disclamer TBH

Really surprised to hear that, there must be hundreds, if not thousands of similar posts on facebook.....have often shared videos of the family singing or dancing to songs on the Wii without a problem ....I doubt that they can check every single post especially when it is for friends only :confused:

Really surprised to hear that, there must be hundreds, if not thousands of similar posts on facebook.....have often shared videos of the family singing or dancing to songs on the Wii without a problem ....I doubt that they can check every single post especially when it is for friends only :confused:

Hi Susie I was suprised too but It seemed to be removed by an automatic process while facebook was rendering the video, I can only guess that it may be due to the fact that I use a profesional audio editor when I remixed and resampled the audio and added it to the video
or maybe it was just my pro sound engineering abilities stood out:cool: lol
Matt

Mattie, as you used to run a Karaoke/disco, then the karaoke disc was bought to be used for public entertainment purposes. Did you have a PRS licence when you were doing the karaoke ??
Christ, I see enough video's on FB that probably infringe copyright somewhere. It's getting that bad, I daren't whistle songs at work in case I owe somebody some royalties. ;) ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Back