Myself plus 3 neighbours all have banging pipes.Mains issue?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I posted on here a few months ago about my banging pipes (I uploaded a video recording of it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g89A77_ONY&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Basically the pipes start banging randomly, if I run a tap while it's happening the banging stops but the water pressure from the tap is intermittent (see video) anyway this has been driving me mad, last night I got home and the banging was worse than ever, I ended up going next door and asking if they were having any issues and it turns out their having the same problem. I live in an end terrace so I spoke to my neighbours in the 3 other houses in the same row and they all have the same issues (1 doesn't get the banging but does get vibration and the intermittent water pressure at times, she has a water storage tank tho so I'm assuming that's making a slight difference.
I called Scottish water and a guy came out but he didn't fill me with confidence, he couldn't find the mains valve for the street so said he'd have to come back another day. My question is does anyone have any ideas on what could cause this sort of issue in 4 different houses, i.e a leak or blockage in the mains? Or an issue with 1 house being passed onto the rest?

Sponsored Links
Fit an expansion vessel to the cold main pipe in the house.
Sorted.

Ensure you have a stop valve in the house that has a non return valve in
or if not have a none return valve fitted after the stop valve.

All the neighbors are banging on the pipes to tell you not to make so much noise :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back