Failed 32A Switch MK

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 1 Gang 32A DP Switch, With Neon which the “Switch not working correctly”and found burnt at the components at L terminals. What would have cause the malfunction ?

Product Assessment:
Mechanically the switch is functioning correctly. L and N Continuity verified. Switch operation feels ‘normal’.
Internal examination revealed heavy carbon deposits on L contacts predominantly at Load contact, L contacts show evidence of silver erosion.

a) Physical conditions:
The switch was installed to serve as an isolation point for the power sockets in one room, this being our study. The switch was intended to shut off the power to the whole room at the end of the evening. Physically, the switch is installed into a wall at the top of the stair case leading to the room. I do not know how this is incorporated into the household wiring circuit.

b) Type of load:
The switch isolates a number of sockets within the room. The room is used as a study/office so has two computer systems with monitors and accessories. It also includes a television and occasionally, depending on the weather, it could include a fan heater.

c) Total load:
I do not know what the total load would be; perhaps you can estimate this from the above indication of items. The monitors and the TV are LCD type, the computers in use are laptops and a mini Acer system; all relatively low power connected through external power supplies. The fan heater probably has the highest load; this is a 3KW heater with thermostat so it kicks in and out. Other items are phone chargers, a router, small printer, small shredder and so on.

Sponsored Links
How long has it been there?

Has it been opened since fitting?

Without seeing pictures I would say high resistance on the L terminal which caused it to overheat, I see that so often

How long has it been there?
since 2009

Has it been opened since fitting?
no

Without seeing pictures I would say high resistance on the L terminal which caused it to overheat, I see that so often
manufacturer's fault or due to loose terminal / cables installation

Sponsored Links
Photo looks like local arcing rather than general overheating due to loose connections. Any chance the person charged with operating this switch OFF or ON does so "slowly". Some people are of the impression that switches operated "slowly" creates less "shock" to the appliances

Definately contact failure.

Isolators are not designed for repetative switching of loads, if this switch is used daily with all the invidual sockets left switched on then it's life will be short. To prolong the life of the isolator turn off all loads and then turn off the isolator.

Photo looks like local arcing rather than general overheating due to loose connections. Any chance the person charged with operating this switch OFF or ON does so "slowly". Some people are of the impression that switches operated "slowly" creates less "shock" to the appliances
What photo?
Almost certainly a loose connection on the terminal.

Seem to recall RF having a problem with an MK metal clad switch a while back. Only remember cause MK are usually bullet proof as far as reliability / quality is concerned.
P.s what photo?

Sponsored Links
Back