Need more sockets!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
Heres my situation.... Just moved house and I plan on using one room as a 'computer / study room'.

The problem is that there is only one single plug socket in the room and it is on the wrong side of the room to where I need to setup the computers.

I will need power for the following items:

2 computer
1 printer
2 TFT monitors
1 switch
1 router
1 wireless access point

I have been reading about making a spur off the original plug socket and if the socket is OK to handle a spur, I planned to add a two 4 socket extension bars to allow me to connect all the above equipment.

Would the equipment I need to power be too much load on the spur?

If so, would it make any difference if I just ran an extension lead from the plug socket to power the equipment?

Thanks

Damage

Sponsored Links
Hi Damage
You could run a spur if the existing socket is on the ring (pop the front off the socket and see if there is more than one wire connected, if so, you're good to go) but unsure on regs so you'd need to look into this to DIY. The loads you are looking at wouldn't be a problem for this circuit regardless of whichever way you chose to do it. I'm no sparkie, but 2 PC's (the majority of the load) wouldn't be a problem.
R

Damage,

As RCS says, there shouldn't be a problem with those loads on a spur (assuming that the socket is on a ring, and that everything is wired in 2.5mm - if you're not sure how to find out ask and someone will enlighten you I'm sure)

There would also be no difficulties with running a extension lead from the existing socket, as long as it is a good quality one and up to the load - and of course as long as you don't keep tripping over it :LOL:

With my IT hat on, I would get decent Surge Suppressor extensions to protect those computers - they are cheap these days and I've seen the results of a surge too many times.

If you have two plugged into to the new socket you may want to consider replacing the fuses on them for 5A - While it is unlikely that both would draw 13A at any one time, 26A might be pushing the limits a little for the spur wiring, not to mention the socket. Its probably not a big issue though, so I wouldn't worry unduly about it.

The best solution if you really want to do a good job would be to have some of the conduit installed that goes round the room at desk height, providing power outlets, network connections, etc. - but thats not a cheap option and only really for proper home offices.

The other possible thing to look out for is that PCs tend to 'leak' current more than other devices, so you may find that if you have rcd protection on that circuit at the consumer unit the addition of the pcs may push it over the edge and lead to nuisance trips. Having said that, my entire house is on one ring and the 3/4 pcs that run constantly here haven't ever caused a problem....but its something to be aware of.

As for regs, this work wouldn't be notifiable, although you would still have to follow the requirements of Part P - basically just ensure its done safely and follow the guidelines.

Hope that helps.

Gavin

damage said:
Hi guys,
Heres my situation.... Just moved house and I plan on using one room as a 'computer / study room'.

The problem is that there is only one single plug socket in the room and it is on the wrong side of the room to where I need to setup the computers.

I will need power for the following items:

2 computer
1 printer
2 TFT monitors
1 switch
1 router
1 wireless access point

I have been reading about making a spur off the original plug socket and if the socket is OK to handle a spur, I planned to add a two 4 socket extension bars to allow me to connect all the above equipment.

Would the equipment I need to power be too much load on the spur?

If so, would it make any difference if I just ran an extension lead from the plug socket to power the equipment?

Thanks

Damage

That's how most people would do it, just make sure the flex is not run where it could get damaged by the vacum cleaner!

Sponsored Links
Hi guys,
Thanks for the heads up!!

I will probably add the spur and trunk the cable to make it look nice :)

Also I think I will replace the 13a fuses with 5a fuses in the computer plugs and upgrade my current surge protector extension block!

Regards

Damage

rcs said:
Hi Damage
You could run a spur if the existing socket is on the ring (pop the front off the socket and see if there is more than one wire connected, if so, you're good to go) but unsure on regs so you'd need to look into this to DIY. The loads you are looking at wouldn't be a problem for this circuit regardless of whichever way you chose to do it. I'm no sparkie, but 2 PC's (the majority of the load) wouldn't be a problem.
R

Damage, careful with the above advice. note that rcs says he's not a sparkie (he's in somewhere called IN ZID as well)!
Just because there are two cables coming to a socket DOES NOT mean that the socket is on the ring. It may be that the socket is a spur and someone has run an (illegal) second spur off it. You adding another spur into this situation could be v. dangerous.
There are ways of testing this but outside scope of DIY.
Get someone in to advise u.

Tayla

Hi Tayla
Not all of us pronounce our i's and e's the wrong way round, well not us Poms anyway.
:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back