How much can you plug into 1 single socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a limit to how much you can plug into one socket?

I ask because in the bedroom that I use as my computer room I only have 2 single sockets.
One of those sockets is behind the bed, so in the other single socket I have 4 socket surge protected entension.

Into the extension I have plugged in my PC, monitor, lamp and router.
I also want to plug in a CCTV DVR and 1 switching power supply for 4 CCD cameras.

Is this too much for 1 single socket?

Sponsored Links
As long as the total load does not exceed 13A it is fine, most of the things you mention only draw a few watts.

I have two LCD screens, a printer, a sound system, a PC, a router, a lamp and a sky box through one 13A plug. It'll be reet. Though large, these items only consume small amounts of energy (the 37" screen being the most power hungry)

Sponsored Links
To add, at work I have seen a 10 amp UPS (uninterruptable supply) with three tills (basically computers each with 2 screens) and the back office server on it. The load on the UPS was only about 5 amps. :)

Is there a limit to how much you can plug into one socket?

I ask because in the bedroom that I use as my computer room I only have 2 single sockets.
One of those sockets is behind the bed, so in the other single socket I have 4 socket surge protected entension.

Into the extension I have plugged in my PC, monitor, lamp and router.
I also want to plug in a CCTV DVR and 1 switching power supply for 4 CCD cameras.

Is this too much for 1 single socket?

Find out the wattage of each device, add them together and divide by 230v to get the amps.

Stay under 13 amps and you will be fine.

I would add to the above advice to make sure you always use suitable converter/adaptors according to the manufacturer's instructions. No matter how low your load, the following is not considered good practice... :D :D

I would add to the above advice to make sure you always use suitable converter/adaptors according to the manufacturer's instructions.
Meh, the manufactures instructions often make inane statements like telling you not to daisy chain period rather than trying to explain when it is and isn't a good idea. Either that or they give virtually no information at all.
No matter how low your load, the following is not considered good practice... :D :D

Agreed, it pays to give though to the physical stability and cable stresses in your configuration. Plugging together doubles/triplers/adaptos/heavy wall warts is generally a bad idea as is plugging in any configuration that prevents plugs being inserted fully.

For a semi-permanent installation mount some surface mounted double sockets on a length of 4inch by 1 inch timber and wire them together. Then with a suitable cable from one end connect them to a 13 amp plug to plug into an existing socket.

In effect a multi-way extension lead which can then be fitted to the wall.

It has ample space for plug top power supplies to fit side by side. The sockets are invidually switched and will be better quality than the majority of multi-way extension leads sold today.

It has ample space for plug top power supplies to fit side by side. The sockets are invidually switched and will be better quality than the majority of multi-way extension leads sold today.
It will also stick a huge distance out from the wall and generally look terrible.

plus you have to think about how you are going to retain the flex.

It will also stick a huge distance out from the wall and generally look terrible.
plus you have to think about how you are going to retain the flex.

Looks tidier that the average extension lead hanging precariously on a couple of screw heads.

Under the desk it is out of sight. Or it can form the lower edge of the frame of a notice board or similar

Flex is retained by cable clamps similar to the saddle and two screw type.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back