Can I plug my oven and gas hob into the single socket?

Sponsored Links
You can't. The oven plugs into the 30A supply. Plugging the hob into the same supply is dangerous in short circuit situations. 13A on the hob might not kill you, but 30A could.

You can't. The oven plugs into the 30A supply. Plugging the hob into the same supply is dangerous in short circuit situations. 13A on the hob might not kill you, but 30A could.
I wonder what the 13A fuse in the plug is for then?

Sponsored Links
It doesn't work like that.

Apart from that, won't the hob be protected by the 13A fuse - if he means using the same plug for both.

It's not a question of why the ignitor needs more than a 3A fuse; it doesn't need any fuse.

Firstly there is the situation where the same gas hob might be part of a cooker with a large or double electric oven, so could be on a 32A circuit in the U.K.
Then there is most of the rest of the world where they don't use such fuses and the same gas hob will probably be on a 16A circuit.

On a general level, as you have nearly indicated, the fuse is to protect the cable; not the appliance. However, where the appliance cannot cause an overload which might damage the cable then overload protection may be omitted as long as the cable can cope with any fault current, so a 13A fuse, 16A MCB or even or 32A MCB will likely be acceptable - as will be the case in the two situations above.

No it didn't
In that case it is unlikely that it can be used on a plug.

0.79kWh is not the relevant detail. Does it state the total Wattage (W) of the oven anywhere?
If not what is the make and model?

You might have to change the socket (on the cooker circuit) for a double cooker outlet plate - or add a single one to the socket.

In that case it is unlikely that it can be used on a plug.

0.79kWh is not the relevant detail. Does it state the total Wattage (W) of the oven anywhere?
If not what is the make and model?

You might have to change the socket (on the cooker circuit) for a double cooker outlet plate - or add a single one to the socket.

It is:
2.3 kW and the manual says 13a
I have attached the PDF:

Attachments

• ASS_25456442.pdf
    11.5 MB · Views: 57

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back