failed bathroom extractor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a Manrose Gold 100mm timer extractor fan in my bathroom, like this:
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=62530&ts=11341

Today it's failed. I've tested the permanent line and switched live at the fan - both are fine, so it's clearly a problem with the fan itself. Annoying as it's only 2 years old. :rolleyes:

Before I bite the bullet and just buy a new one, are there any basic checks I could make on the fan itself, to verify that it is indeed dead? Any typical faults I could look out for, that might be repairable?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I find that bathroom fans generally just don't last very long. They're switched on everytime anyone uses the bathroom, do a lot of hours in a year, get hot and steamy, and aren't built to the substantial standards of an office extractor. I've used the more expensive Vent-Axia tangental fans as well, they're nice and quiet but don't last for ever.

If you're buying those cheap ones, get a spare or two for next time.

edited to say:
But wait! when i read your link, it says "5 Year Manufacturer's Warranty"

I had an extractor just like this in my old house, which worked fine for the 7 years I was there, and was still going strong when I sold the place ...

Manufacturer's warranty would be fine, if I had the receipt/original details/packaging/etc ... for twenty quid I can really be bothered to chase around after it (which is presumably exactly what they want).

Never mind - time to go shopping ...

Thanks

Sponsored Links
How did you get on with the Airflow Icon 30? Did you fit one and with what control module?
Ta

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back